converting base C5 to Z51

balaguru

Is it legal to change a base C5 to a Z51 C5 and start at the TTA base class in order to start with a 295 tire?

My thoughts were to find a base C5 if I could not find a suitable Z51 and add PS cooler, sways, springs and shocks from a Z51 to take advantage of the starting tire size of 295. Otherwise, I would incur more points with a 255 A6 tire if I start at TTB versus TTA.

The math:

base C5 with 255 A6 and -80lbs = ttb + 7 + 12 + 6 = tta + 5

z51 c5 with 255 A6 = tta + 3

Note the base C5 option is still stuck with a base C5 suspension even though it has more points than the z51 option.

Is it legal to change a base C5 to a Z51 C5 and start at the TTA base class in order to start with a 295 tire?

My thoughts were to find a base C5 if I could not find a suitable Z51 and add PS cooler, sways, springs and shocks from a Z51 to take advantage of the starting tire size of 295. Otherwise, I would incur more points with a 255 A6 tire if I start at TTB versus TTA.

The math:

base C5 with 255 A6 and -80lbs = ttb + 7 + 12 + 6 = tta + 5

z51 c5 with 255 A6 = tta + 3

Note the base C5 option is still stuck with a base C5 suspension even though it has more points than the z51 option.

Thank you for your interest in NASA. C5 Corvette? You may now move along.....

Uhg! Just skimmed the ST rules for the first time. Initial impression is that it looks expensive in terms of money and car development time. Sigh...I just wanna race.

I'd pick a different car.

Uhg! Just skimmed the ST rules for the first time. Initial impression is that it looks expensive in terms of money and car development time. Sigh...I just wanna race.

I'd pick a different car.

Yeah. You are probably right. Seemed like the perfect car--cheap, powerful, well balanced, cheap...

Might need to look at a 350z or camaro/mustang.

I had been planning this for years. So depressing...

I feel your pain. I just picked up a C5 Z06 in july with every intent to leave it stock and change tires and pads on track weekends for a competitive TTA car.

I'll still play ofcourse, but not sure if I will ever be competitive with the new rule set.

But the new rules are going to bring a massive influx of new participants to ST3/TT3 and ST2/TT2!!! Nationals next year will be overrun and regional events will be huge!

But the new rules are going to bring a massive influx of new participants to ST3/TT3 and ST2/TT2!!! Nationals next year will be overrun and regional events will be huge!

Someone beat this post with the sarcasm stick!

Hmm. After thinking about things abit this may not be as bad as I thought. It does avoid some of the contortions that inspired the original post. Just find a C5 then pick a wheel/tire, suspension and brake package. Then see where you are and shoot for a wt/hp ratio. All the other little things will probably be made irrelevant by driver skill...or my lack thereof.

If you are just starting, depending on your area, your chances of winning may be low, but that would be the case regardless of what car you are in.

A C5 is a great car for all the reasons mentioned. It is not a piece of cake to drive despite some of the comments that I am seeing. There is a wealth of collective knowledge and good parts (OEM and aftermarket) that will help.

Given the current climate, I would either consider a car that you can fit in TTB or simply start out in TT3 with a C5. With another car that starts in TTB, you will be dumping $ into it for TT3, just like a C5, but likely find yourself on your own when it comes to development.

If you think you are in it for at least a couple years, then starting with a '01 C5 base model with Z06 heads/cam, along with poly bushings and C5Z suspension is a good start. You can work in other mods as you go along, but that will get you towards the front in terms of car capabilities.