Bushing Materials

VaTechM3

So I'm thinking its about time to start replacing some suspension components that have been on the car since 2008 and was trying to figure out if we were allowed yet to replace bushings with materials other than stock pieces. I'm looking at the arms from BW and they have a few options.

From just reviewing the rules quickly, there is the caveot of bushing material may be replaced unless specified, but we still have a spec bushing for the front control arms and for the rear trailing arms. Aside from those two, does that specification of open material apply then to diff, subframe, transmission, and motor mounts? I think that's really all there are that are left.

Can anyone clarify for me before I start buying parts haha.

Thanks!

Andrew

I replaced all the bushings in the rear with stock...I don't really think there is a point to putting anything else other than stock. Maybe something a bit stronger for the front diff bushing. Considering we're allowed the RE finned cover (solid rear diff bushings) I don't see a problem with using a stronger front diff bushing.

Vorshlag Nylon motor mounts and e46 M3 trans mounts here. work great.

• Members
I replaced all the bushings in the rear with stock...I don't really think there is a point to putting anything else other than stock. Maybe something a bit stronger for the front diff bushing. Considering we're allowed the RE finned cover (solid rear diff bushings) I don't see a problem with using a stronger front diff bushing.

Vorshlag Nylon motor mounts and e46 M3 trans mounts here. work great.

My apologies for not giving a detailed response yet, work days of 12+ hrs are killing me. Mike has hit the nail on the head on a few points, especially the diff bushings.

If there are any parts of the rules that are confusing regarding bushings, please feel free to post or shoot me an email. I will do my best this weekend while at the track to write an actual response to your question (Andrew).

J

No worries Jon, I'm not in any real rush to pull the trigger on anything. I was sort of intrigued by the BW meyle control arms with their BWSport bushings.

We have a spec part which I have been using as is the case for all other bushings, but figured it would be about time to start replacing some of these things and figured I'd throw some stiffer bushings in there.

I've got the nylon motor mounts and the maybe the red tranny mounts?

Diff bushings are all stock as far as I can tell. Just trying to find ways to say the car is more of a race car and not just running a hodgepodge of OEM parts from other cars =)

Jon, any clarification on this? While my focus has now actually turned to my M3, it would be nice to know for sure when I get around to throwing some more parts at the spec3.