STR3 TT Equivalent? TT3 Rules Clarification

masitr

For 2013 is there going to be an TT equivalent to the STR3 class, basically TTS with a 9.0 Wt/Hp? From my understanding the 2013 TT3 will still have a points based system like the 2012 TTA or will it be like the 2012 SUR with a 9.0 Wt/Hp then +.5 Mod factor for non OEM Aero?

For 2013 is there going to be an TT equivalent to the STR3 class, basically TTS with a 9.0 Wt/Hp? From my understanding the 2013 TT3 will still have a points based system like the 2012 TTA or will it be like the 2012 SUR with a 9.0 Wt/Hp then +.5 Mod factor for non OEM Aero?

no points in TT3 just mod factors...

Do not know the STR3 to TT crossover

• National Staff

TT3 will be like SUR last year using the Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio.

There is a one year transition period for regional TT competition only, where a driver can use the points method based on the 2013 rules, and compete side-by-side drivers using the Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio method in TT3. At the Championships at MMP in September, TT3 will only use the Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio.

STR3 is essentially STR2 from 2012, with a slightly higher limit of Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio of 9.0:1. (STR2 is put into hibernation for possible use in the future when we have so many tube-frame cars we don't know what to do with them ) The past mapping for TT was that STR2 mapped into TTU. The new mapping if left unchanged would be STR3 into TT1. No, it is not fair. Then again, tube-frame cars are generally for racing, not running in TT. Well, said differently, our TT classes other than Unlimited (now TTU) are mostly for production vehicles.

However, this may present an opportunity for some experimentation. We could consider for the TT Rules (only, Brian Cobra), whether or not we should slap a big Mod Factor (1.5 to 2.0) on the STR cars, and then let them run with the corresponding TT123 class depending on their final Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio. I doubt there are many cars out there that 1) are STR cars that want to compete in TT, and 2) that would be interested in such an assessment. But, if there are some out there, please e-mail me before we re-write the TT Rules for 2013.

Also, masitr, feel free to e-mail me about your situation and the reason that you are asking about this.

I have been competing in TTS. The entire car has been built for that class around the open aero rules. I will not be able to get enough weight out of the car nor make more HP to be competitive in the 2013 TT2 @ 8.0:1. I will be easier and more affordable to simply add weight for 2013 than to redesign the entire car. The reason I asked about STR3 was due to the no mod factor for aero.

So will TT3 be just like TTS just with a 9.0:1 Ratio? or will I be at 9.0:1 +.5 = 9.5:1 for my aero?

or will I be at 9.0:1 +.5 = 9.5:1 for my aero?

Other way around. You would be at 9.5:1 - 0.5 due to aero = 9:1

A non-aero modded car would be 9:1 straight-up.

Higher is worse with hp/weight ratios (think golf, or laptimes, or...), thus a car with aero will need to run at a worse ratio as compared to a non-aero car to be on the path to equalizing things. How much worse it needs to be is open to debate...

Got it .5 penalty for Aero. The Rules Stated ST3 only but I am assuming that applies to TT3 Also.

the car classing (and just car classing) will mirror each other between ST and TT

I have been competing in TTS. The entire car has been built for that class around the open aero rules. I will not be able to get enough weight out of the car nor make more HP to be competitive in the 2013 TT2 @ 8.0:1. I will be easier and more affordable to simply add weight for 2013 than to redesign the entire car. The reason I asked about STR3 was due to the no mod factor for aero.

I was thinking the exact same thing, sometimes we get the thunder turdsters to come out and play so if everyone just ran STR3 you'd have consistent car counts and you'd never see a nascar with that little power, but if you did it'd still be a fun battle. Me thinks ST2 is going to be quite empty .

The ones that visit us don't seem to care or have balls of steel lol, watch some of our videos.

Our group of 6 or so didnt even want their own start....and don't understand physics well (i.e. consequences of a 3000lb car hitting a 1200lb car)