Is this roll cage still legal?

darreng505

Hi,

I am spec'ing out my mustang for entry into AI/AIX. I came across this roll cage and wanted to get confirmation that it's legal and decent product.

I guess these are pre-fab'd from autopower industries.

http://redesign3.mu.snapshotdesign.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=83262+01

Thanks in advance.

Darren

Yeah, I thought so myself.

RE: logbook. I don't yet know what that means for a rollcage. I presume you mean details on its construction? They do claim NASA legal but without the second door bar, it seems its not.

I'm weighing a pre-fab cage solution vs. a more costly (but perhaps more exact) new fabrication from a performance shop.

The logbook means it's been inspected and signed off on by NASA before - and except for a couple of items you're often grandfathered in under the old regulations as things get changed/updated/etc. So if the car doesn't have the logbook or come with one (ie it's been lost or whatnot) you'll have to upgrade the cage and everything else to meet the current CCR regulations.

- KB, who won't buy a pre-built car that doesn't come with a logbook unless it's a crazy low price...

My personal experience has been that logbooks are meaningless if the cage isn't current. Cage tech inspection is inconsistent at best, and one guy will pass something that another won't. I don't believe NASA grandfathers cages.

My personal experience has been that logbooks are meaningless if the cage isn't current. Cage tech inspection is inconsistent at best, and one guy will pass something that another won't. I don't believe NASA grandfathers cages.

There's specific language in the CCRs outlining several things that are allowed to be grandfathered. It needs to have an existing *NASA* logbook though, one from Granny's Racing Association would be pretty meanignless you're right

If something is pointed out as an issue it would be wise for the driver/car-owner/etc to pull the CCRs and make sure that everyone is agreeing on the interpretation so that they can get it all cleared up.

I've never had an issue with cage inspections even with mine being a non-standard design that has to use a couple specific exceptions from the CCRs. But I've also only ever had to get one logbook at this point...

On a semi related topic. Are low front cages allowed for open cockpit cars? I see nothing in the rules allowing that configuration, yet the Factory Five Challenge standard cage is a low front design. Their is currently a big chassis/cage design thread on the Locost 7 forum trying to make sense of the different cage regulations.