Fuel Safe or ATL?

BigKeyserSoze

I'm going to put a cell in my 1988 Mustang AI car. Is there any real difference between Fuel Safe or ATL? Pricing looks to be about equal. I'm thinking about something in the 32 gallon range. Does one have better service than the other? I have a Fuel Safe in my FFR, I've never been wildly happy with the Fuel Safe customer service, but I don't know if ATL is any better. Thoughts? And where to buy? Thanks.

Only thought I have is that's a big tank for an AI car, especially a fox. Perhaps you're going to run enduros? My AI car has a 15gal ATL cell, no problems, but never needed any tech support either. You leaving the FFR's and coming to AI? Cool if that's the plan...

• Members

I just recently had to deal with ATL on getting a new replacement custom bladder for a customer's car. They were GREAT to work with, very professional, and everything went very smooth. I haven't dealt any with Fuel Safe, but based on my experience, I'd definitely recommend ATL...

Ed

We have a fuel safe in our Fox. It is the stock tank replacement (fits without any mods). We had to get the bladder replaced last year. I don't recall any issues, other than the price for the stock tank model is very steep compared to the box type.

Our S197 has an ATL and haven't had any issues with it. It's the 22 gallon box type drop in.

j

• 3 months later...

Jim,

Could you provide more details on the ATL cell for the S197. I am building one for SI and haven't decided whether to use a stock tank of fuel cell. I don't want to do major surgery if I can help it. The model cell and brief mounting details would help. Do you have any experience with the type that mounts in the spare tire well?

Thanks,

Hal

Hal,

Jims cell is a standard atl cell. it's not s197 specific. If you want a cell your going to need to cut that trunk area up . nobody that I'm aware of is making a direct replacement fuel cell for a s197 car. I heard rumors around the WC camp that they where trying to get a s197 cell but I'm pretty sure nothing came to be about it .

32 gallons ? why so big ? that car shouldn't burn but 10-12 gallons for a race. I would think a 18-20 g would be plenty

Does anything need to be changed in the PCM calibration to accommodate a fuel cell and/or return fuel system in an S197? Meaning, will it throw the check engine light if the returnless fuel pump is missing or different? Perhaps if the fuel pressure sensor is missing? Are there are other consequences (limp mode?) I know the SI rules encourage a fuel cell installation, but it also requires the calibration file be stock, or Ford Racing stock…

Hal,

Steve summed it up pretty well on the S197 cell. It is a drop in/cut out the trunk type. Nothing special about it.

Olaaf-

The S197 has a carburetor and no return line. And what check engine light? This car has had all things factory pulled out long ago (except the basic dash structure) It runs a push rod motor, MSD ignition and 1950s fuel system and a 21st century AIM dash.

Sorry I can't help with the CIL and other things.

j