Merkur XR4Ti

WhiteLX

I was wondering if there are any classes that I could race my 1986 Merkur XR4Ti in. All I can see is Pro Sedan, Super Unlimited, and maybe Pro Compact. Unfortunately the engine does have some internal engine modifications (longer rods, hotter cam, head studs). I don't think I have the budget to run the car in Super Unlimited.

Too bad I couldn't run it in AI.

I may just HPDE it until I can get the money together for a Pro7/PS7 car.

Eric

• Members

The XR4 with modifications would be SU otherwise it would be PS0. However, I doubt it would be wise to spend the money to create a race car out of it becase it is not one of the popular race cars. If you are going to spend the money for a Pro-7 I would recommend getting a much better performing car for the dough. Check out the Honda CRX/Civic which runs in H4 or ITA in SCCA. This is a very popular car in most organizations and it will hold its value. I know if competitive cars that can be had turn key ofr 8K or less.

I am preparing to start building my XR4Ti also, so maybe you won't be the only one out there way over matched.

I understand you concerns about the budget for SU, I too am a little concerned about what else the class draws. But I am going to steam ahead anyway and just build the car as my budget and time will allow.

Until HPDE is the place for me.

How many H4 or H5 cars are usually at a Honda Challenge race in So Cal? There seems to be quite a few HC cars running in the videos I watched, but I am wondering how many are H4 or H5.

I am really looking for smaller, lightweight cars that are easy on tires and brakes. My truck wouldn't mind 1000lb less to haul around either. I really like the CMC class, but those cars seem to have an appetite for tires and brakes. SM and HC are a definite possibility for me.

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Usually there are about 4-6 H4 cars, sometimes more. But the H4 cars are usually very close to the SR (SE-R) cars at most tracks, so there's usually about 10 people racing closely.

You might want to look into a SE-R Cup car. They are more powerful that SM and HC cars, with slighly less handling. They are usually cheaper, too.

-Jim

Eric - my CMC car is up for sale as well.

Regarding tires and brakes: A set of tires can last a complete season, and brakes last pretty good too, A season is not uncommon on rotors, and depending on pad material, fronts can last from 2-5 events, with a season possible on the rears. Hope this helps...

• 2 weeks later...

Race the XR4Ti. I have had a street XR4Ti for the last 6 or 7 years. Parts are pretty cheap, engine is pretty durable and you can get a lot of hp out of them. The only problem is that in SU, you may not have a chance. But it all depends on who shows up. I can tell you that a Merkur handles way better than a Mustang. If you want a cheap stock XR4, I may be able to help too.

ali