RULE PROPOSAL: Increase the penalty for tube-frame cars

JSG1901

Modification to Tube Frame power to weight/definition

Proposed change

Create a larger spread between tube frame and factory cars.

Reason

Tube frame cars offer significant advantage. Spread is wider in lower GTS1-3 classes, however really narrows in GTS4 and 5. A greater spread is necessary.

Proposed wording

GTS4 tube frame - 9.5 with DOT, 10 with slicks

I'm the one who submitted this and frankly am curious on how everybody feels about this. While I'm not expecting somebody to bring in an ex-DTM car to run in GTS it does seem like the spread between production cars and make whatever you want "frames" is very narrow.

can we clear up what is considered a tube frame car? For example tubular A-arms that might be used to fix steering geometry on a very low e36, is that considered tube frame? The car "cannot be driven with the tubing removed."

Frankly - no. But I continue to watch companies come up with new bodies for tube frame chassis and I don't see why a BMW body would be any more difficult to make than any other. Oh it could be that I'm just overreacting!

Don't want to sound like an ass but it's tube-FRAMED cars. Your suspension arms aren't part of the frame.

I don't know if we to touch this rule yet, YET....

Don't want to sound like an ass but it's tube-FRAMED cars. Your suspension arms aren't part of the frame.

For the record, this is right. There is no restriction on suspension components, tubular or otherwise. The restriction is on the frame itself and, as an eariler post noted, the test is whether or not the car can be driven without the tubes.

So, to make up an example on the spot, an E36 that's had a bunch of tubing added to it to stiffen the structure would not be considered tube framed unless so much of the original bodywork had been removed in the process that the car was unworkable without the tubes.

This feels like a solution in search of a problem. If someone wants to bring an ex-DTM tube-framed car, they should have the opportunity to dominate one season! We can deal with it when/if it ever happens...