LS engines throwing serpentine belts

Flash

Has anyone had any issues with an LS engine throwing belts? Is the problem with the belt tensioner or the fact that the pulleys are not deep enough. If you had the issue, did you come up with a fix?

The main 6-rib belt?

I've only heard of one LSX driver that flung a belt and that was a result of a massive over-rev.

Do you have an aftermarket balancer that might not be installed correctly?

What's the make/model of the car?

Is everything stock?

1. Crank pulley is starting to walk off.

2. Tensioner is worn out (rare)

3. Big over-rev when downshifting or missed shift causing factory tensioner to throw the belt.

This is a stock LS new crate engine. The only change is a ARE dry sump and an ATI damper also did not over rev the engine. Charlie at Mazcare is working with Reese Cox at MTI and we are probably going to use his tensioner system with a deeper pulley.

Which ATI damper? I run the 10% underdrive on all my LS motors. I've never thrown a belt in all my years of tracking, but I do run a Katech manual tensioner which comes with a pulley with a higher lip.

DSCF4263.jpg

I believe the trick is the deeper pulley and the manual tensioner.

FYI the factory LS2/LS3 tensioner comes with a higher lipped pulley vs. the LS1/LS6. Just in case you have one of those laying around.

I believe the trick is the deeper pulley and the manual tensioner.

I don't think so. I've been beating the snot out of mine for years without a problem. I know many others that have as well.