We don't drive nuclear cars, so why is this allowed?

McGyver

I believe that this is one rule that should be considered a big change for 2013.

If you read the 2012 NASA-CCR and go to 15.20 you will see that URANIUM is listed as an

approved weight ballast.....say huh? Yes, it is there and we don't drive any nuclear vehicles....yet! My suggestion is this material should be changed to titanium if anyone can afford it.

Anyone else approve this

Depleted unarinum is denser and therefore may be mounted closer to the ground. In any case it will not work in nuclear reactors or bombs. The military use it for ammunition because of the higher density.

Just to put it in perspective, titanium has about 55% the density of steel, lead about 150% steel, and uranium about 220% of steel. So, if you were to use titanium instead of uranium for ballast, you would need 4 times the volume. Yes, for ballast, feathers would've cheaper.

RG "Jerry" Sarsfield

MidWest AI #29

Jerry,

Any ideas on where I can pick up 150 lbs of uranium? Oh, and how to handle it so it doesn't kill me?

Guess I could put it in a lead or concrete vault, but concrete isn't an approved type of ballast and if I'm already using lead, why get that fancy?

j

Shielding is not reqired. Crews of tanks and A10s are not shielded. Depleted unranium is also used as ballast for elevators and commercial airpanes. Just don't eat it!!! Eating it can caues serious problems.