Roll cage bar bending

Rusty105

I have a question about how the bars should be bent for a roll cage. NASA CCR 2005 States "15.6.5 Bends. None of the tubing may show any signs of crimping or wall failure. All bends must be mandrel type......" Does mandrel "type" mean done on a mandrel bender, or be smooth, kink free, crack free, etc. The question is can I bend the bars with a "JD2" type, or "Pro-tools #105" type bender. Other Sanctioning bodies specify bars that must be wrinkle free, and show no signs of wall failure. I just want to get a clear ruling on this before I start out on my project.

Thanks

Rusty

if used correctly it would indeed. The vast majority of cages racing in club racing are built with similair tools. care still needs to be taken to not crush or overbend the tubing.

• 1 month later...

if you don't use a mandrel, the tube will likely be crimpled. I have a cheap hand-pump bender, and while it isn't fancy, it makes nice mandrel bends.

If you can visually see the pipe squashed/stretched, then you need another bender.

144206_lg.jpgI tried one of these, but it didn't come with the correct size mandrel. Often, "pipe" is measured by inside diameter, but roll bar tubing is measured by exterior diameter, and you have to have the correct size mandrel or the tubing will "squash"

• 1 year later...
if you don't use a mandrel, the tube will likely be crimpled. I have a cheap hand-pump bender, and while it isn't fancy, it makes nice mandrel bends.

If you can visually see the pipe squashed/stretched, then you need another bender.

144206_lg.jpgI tried one of these, but it didn't come with the correct size mandrel. Often, "pipe" is measured by inside diameter, but roll bar tubing is measured by exterior diameter, and you have to have the correct size mandrel or the tubing will "squash"

did you say that orange bender, eventually worked out for you? or did you have to go with a different bender?

Most shops do not use mandrel bends for cage work, most use what is called rotary draw bends. Rotary draw bends bending does not adversely deform tube wall. As do many forms of press bends (such as would be performed using the orange bender seen previous posts.

I do believe that the current rules are mistaken in their nomenclature but non in intent. In that it is important no to deform the pipe wall, as this would result in a weakness.

http://www.thefabricator.com/TubePipeFabrication/TubePipeFabrication_Article.cfm?ID=1444

Remember you want to make the cage using DOM (drawn over mandrel) (the material) tubing, and that you wish to use Rotary Draw Bends (the process) to bend your tubing.