Enclosed trailer car loading

dnetcrawler

I have been contemplating upgrading the new trailer to one that has an Escape Door. The dealership is nice enough to let me upgrade without penalty.

How is everyone loading the cars into an enclosed trailer?

Drive it in?

Get out through the window?

Winch? Are you seating on the driver seat, or do it from out the car?

In my enclosed trailer, if the car is running OK, then I'll just drive it in and get out thru the window (I don't have any escape door on the left side). If the car is broken, then I'll use my winch to get it into the trailer with me walking just outside the driver door so I can steer and also work the winch control cord, but I could winch it in with me in the driver seat if needed. My Winch control cable was a little too short so I got some extension cable so it will easily reach well outside the trailer. If you're going to get an enclosed trailer, then it is nice to have the winch just in case the car is broken. When you install the winch, make sure to use some backing plates under the floor to make sure that it strong enough. - Jim

You are supposed to winch the car in/out to avoid burning up the clutch, call Tilton or QM and see what they say. I stand up front by the winch and occasionally will stop and walk back to the car and adjust the steering wheel. I have driven the car in before and gotten out the window but that was the past. I would not want an escape door on my trailer as it's not necessary and that's just one more entry point for a thief.

We have a 48 ft enclosed for our 2 AI cars. We have always driven them in and out unless they were broken. We climb out the window and walk along the side. No escape hatch. Also have a winch with a really long cable and a remote control. Clutches? Really? Our S197 Mustang has a clutch so easy I can teach my 15 year old how to do it without hurting it. Our Fox Mustang has an ultra light fly wheel and pressure plate. You have to keep the rpms up over 2000 to not stall it. Same clutch that's been in the car for 4 years.

j

I have the escape door. I rarely use it. Thought I would use it but my car door clears the wheel well so I can open the door enough to climb out without hassle.

It is great for cross ventilation on those nice spring days at the track though.

For purposes of discussion, my car doesn't have a flywheel so I use a winch for loading and unloading to save the clutch, as described above. My trailer also has a driver's side escape door which I have never used. My winch has a wired remote and I stand inside the trailer using that to move the car in and out.

When I got my trailer 2 years ago, I thought the escape door was a huge bonus. Surprisingly, I never found a reason to use it.