Adjusting KW coilover dampening

Jagerz

To adjust the dampening on the KW's it requires removal of the strut brace which is held on by 8 14mm bolts.. This isn't that big of a deal, but it is a little cumbersome when I will be out tuning at the track trying different settings. Since aftermarket braces are illegal I was thinking about drilling a 1/2" hole into the strut brace mount, and then finding an extender for the KW tool to let me adjust the dampening without having to remove the whole thing. How is everyone else managing this?

I recommend you cut /drill a appropriate size hole in the top of the brace...and then use (i believe) a 2MM allen key to adjust

I think this is even legal

I will go read the rules again and report back

To adjust the dampening on the KW's it requires removal of the strut brace which is held on by 8 14mm bolts.. This isn't that big of a deal, but it is a little cumbersome when I will be out tuning at the track trying different settings. Since aftermarket braces are illegal I was thinking about drilling a 1/2" hole into the strut brace mount, and then finding an extender for the KW tool to let me adjust the dampening without having to remove the whole thing. How is everyone else managing this?

well...this is a streach...but maybe this covers this mod:

18.2 Interior

J) Other than to provide for the installation of required safety equipment or other authorized

modifications, no other driver/passenger compartment alterations or gutting is permitted.

If the words "and operation" or "and adjustment" were added between "..the installation" and "of required..." I'd say you'd have a very hard time arguing that a small hole to adjust the shocks was illegal. As it stands, grey area - could be argued either way methinks, with a lean towards not allowed the way alterations are specifically pointed out.

yup...they just missed this is the rules...

We got many little details refined befor we started building the car...this is one we learned after...

I will send a email to the "HMFIC" see if they can add that for 2012

A rule change permitting a small hole in the front strut brace mounting bracket for adjustments might be nice. As long as the diameter and location for the hole was specified in the rules. I might go ahead with it. Worst case scenario I would have to get a new strut brace.

• 1 month later...