2013 American Iron Rules Released!

tacovini

Thanks for everyone's patience. The rules have been finalized and are in the final HQ review phases now. While there aren't any real major changes I think there are some great clarifications and a few nice surprises overall for the series. With the holiday behind us now, I think we should see some NASA announcements and final rules published any day now. Hang in there!

99460d1274479858-american-iron-cmc-nasa-socal-region-2010-round-2-california-speedway-american-iron-series-logo.jpg

Its kind of sad that we still don't have any rules. Florida already had a race without any.

Im with you. We start season first weekend of Feb.

Do I start my AI build? Do I wait and see if these "few nice surprises" are possibly a new AI class (spec s197)?? Not enough time now to prep/guess on a new set of rules/class.

I think if Nasa is going with a new class for this season, it really is going to leave a lot of guys out of the mix. Most, including myself, have just about ran out of time to prep for a new class, and are prob. going to have to go with the current (2012) AI class..

Folks-

AI and AIX rules are now posted at www.nasaponycars.com and www.nasaproracing.com. You will note that the AI and AIX rules are now separate for ease of comprehension and updating. We are also working on another exciting class for the AI family featuring the early S197 that should be live next week. Stay tuned for details and thanks for sticking with us during this process.

Happy 2013 and may the season bring you nothing but green flag racing and good times.

-JWL

Thank you for the clarification that the new class will happen. I would have hate to see the guys interested in the new class tear their cars "up" to AI (making it cost and time prohibitive for most to turn right back around and pull back to "spec" type class after all the work/parts/development in going AI.)

Lets hope there's a nice contingency attached to the new class to get (more) guys excited to come and play!

Thanks for your efforts guys.

I would have hate to see the guys interested in the new class tear their cars "up" to AI (making it cost and time prohibitive for most to turn right back around and pull back to "spec" type class after all the work/parts/development in going AI.)

... sortof describes the last 8 months of my build...

... sortof describes the last 8 months of my build...

Don't worry Ed. I suspect the new class is a home for the recently orphaned S197 CMC cars and not a place for wayward AI cars.

j

Don't worry Ed. I suspect the new class is a home for the recently orphaned S197 CMC cars and not a place for wayward AI cars.

You are correct Jim. Spec AI (or whatever the name will be) is basically a class for the 05-10 V8 Mustang chassis with very limited and specific Ford racing part requirements.

Yup.

Latest word is.. Spec Iron is the name of the new class. 05-10 3v. All stock parts other than Ford supplied intake and tune (285-295 hp). 18" wheels, 275 Toyo's, 3350lbs. Sounds like Ford is putting up nice cash per race as well. Hope the tire contingency will be nice as well.

Yup.

Latest word is.. Spec Iron is the name of the new class. 05-10 3v. All stock parts other than Ford supplied intake and tune (285-295 hp). 18" wheels, 275 Toyo's, 3350lbs. Sounds like Ford is putting up nice cash per race as well. Hope the tire contingency will be nice as well.

Chris - please do not list specifics until rules are released. Some people may take your words as gospel. Example - a 18 ford wheel with a minimum weight MAY be required.(hint, hint) If someone were to read your post and say 18 wheel; lets go buy some, they may be disappointed when they see the actual rules and possible wieght requirement or part number listed.

In other words, no specifics should be talked about until you SEE the actual rules posted.

To bad it wouldn't include the 2011-13 V6 Mustangs. In SCCA T3 trim my car makes 284hp at the rear wheels, but would need quite a bit of weight to come out at it is 3600 pounds.

Cheyne

Cheyne,

That has been discussed. Due to timing it was not in the cards this year. It may be workable next year. Ford racing has even looked at it, but due to the lower torque of the V6, it gets complicated to even them out with the V8's. Hang in there, it may happen some day. The direction of this class will develop over time.

Chris

It wouldn't happen for me. I'm putting a Coyote in my car right now, but there are 4 more V6 Mustang's in SCCA T3 that are going to get orphaned in the next year or 2. Plus it is a good platform, I just got tired of racing by my self.

Cheyne

Your problem with the v6 is not the engine but the trans. with it's crap ratios and unigue bellhousing to the v6 specific getting a trans is the problem. custom bellhousing would need to be made and when I was looking into a build nobody had anything or had plans for any type of bellhousing, Also With the ecoboost around the corner to replace the v6 I doubt anyone in the aftermarket will put forth a effort to make anything.

quicktime wanted my v6 trans about 4 months and well over 1 grand to build me a custom v6 to richmond box

How come ST rules were out months ago and new season starting in weeks now and we can't get rules out??

You are aware that the ai & aix rules have been posted with spec iron to follow this week, probably tomorrow, correct?

• 2 weeks later...

I remember in seasons past the rules were posted where changes were in red to make it easy to see the changes. Something as simple as changing an AND to an OR could change the interpretation of a rule. Can a copy of the rules with the changes in red be found anywhere?