Suspension rules clarification

Tom R

Where would the following mods fall:

A. Re-valved BTM shocks and converted to 60 mm spring, stock orientation retained (not inverted). Would I take points for both 3) and 4)?

B. Coilover conversion kit for a re-valved BTM shock. Is this effectively seen as a coilover and +7?

C. Since Koni Yellows are single adjustable, where do they fall?

Thanks!

E. SUSPENSION:

1) Non-BTM shocks/struts/dampers with an external reservoir or more than two ranges of

adjustment—must still take points for springs below +10 (example: compression (bump)

and both high & low rebound adjustments).

2) Non-BTM shocks/struts/dampers with a “Piggy Back” external reservoir (fixed reservoir

without a connecting hose) OR with shaft diameter 40mm or greater—must still take

additional points for the springs below +7

3) Non-BTM or modified/re-valved shocks/struts/dampers +3 (all others)(springs not included)

4) Changing the mounting orientation/design of the BTM shock and/or spring perch in order to

invert the shocks/struts (includes non-BTM inverted shocks/struts) +1

A - Just E3, plus spring points as well. Assuming the shocks don't run afoul of shaft diameter and such. The spring-perch stuff in E4 is only meant to capture when you invert the shocks. Changing the perches just to change springs doesn't incur E4, just incurs points fron the spring-change rule instead.

B - what? +3 shocks, +2 springs, sleeves are ride height free mod. Assuming the shocks don't run afoul of shaft diameter and such. Where's +7 coming from?

C - assuming the model in question doesn't run afoul of shaft diameter and such, 1 range of adjustment is 1 range of adjustment, E3.

Not sure - I'm not 100% on all their specs off the top of my head / google. 2 ranges of adjustment points to just E3, but I recall some of ASTs offerings having large enough shafts to run afoul of provisions in E2. Watch for reserviours too, etc... Make sure you know what causes something to be an E1 shock, and E2 shock and then if it has none of those sticking points it's just E3.

Thank you Ken!

Does that mean that a shock like the AST 4150 is also only 3 points?

Thanks,

Tom

You would have to evaluate and examine each particular shock absorber; a blanket statement about one model in particular should not be made, in case there are different versions.

Any shock/strut is 3 points if:

1. It meets the requirements of E3.

2. It does not possess any items or characteristics listed in E1.

3. It does not possess any items or characteristics listed in E2.

4. Item E4 does not apply.

Mark

Thank you Ken!

Does that mean that a shock like the AST 4150 is also only 3 points?

Thanks,

Tom

The 4100 and the 4200 are both 3 points. I believe the 4150 is also non-inverted, full internal with a 22mm shaft making it 3 points as well.

• Members
The 4100 and the 4200 are both 3 points. I believe the 4150 is also non-inverted, full internal with a 22mm shaft making it 3 points as well.

That would be correct. AST dampers starting with a 5XXX are the inverted units with larger shafts this taking the higher points hit.