AI west videos?

trackboss

Just happened to be surfing and viewed the AI promo clip on the nasa website. Not sure about the rest of the AI guys, especially those whom I used to race with a few years back, but I sure do miss those battles we used to have on all these great tracks in california. I hope it builds back up someday soon. It was some of the most fun I ever had, but now it's just looking back on good 'ole times. By the way, am I missing something or have the videos from the ai west site been removed? It's fun for me to go back from time to time and take a look at them. How about we all start dusting off the old cars and plan on having some good times next season?

-V

V-

I asked the webmaster to dig those out and post them on the site. Dunno why they got left off in the refresh.

Agreed on dusting off some of the old iron and putting it on the grid. I drove like a monkey on ritalin at the last race in a car that was remarkably unsorted, but I'll be damned if it wasn't a whole pile of fun anyway. The little cars are fun, but there's just something about a big, nasty V8 monster...

-JWL

• 1 month later...

Howdy, if ya'll have any race footage that could be formated to DVD, we are going to have two of our cars in a car show in Fort Worth(aug13-15), that is expected to draw @ least 20k folks and with the Mustangs we will have a TV and DVD player showing some race footage.

Would be great exposure for our group as Texas is growing. If ya'll have any footage let me know I'd be open to pay for shipping.

Thanks,

Skip

AI#69

• Members

Skip,

Shannon should have a DVD with a full TV show that shows NASA racing and has a full segment on AI. You should have aslo received that DVD with your NASA membership card. If you dont have a copy feel free to ask Shannon to send you one. I can also get you one as well. That would be a good segment to play.

Thanks,

Thanks, I'll get with her. On a side note whom to I talk to about @ the National level about getting Radio's legal for CMC.

I'm sure you know that most if not all race series have the use of radio's.

Example World cup and challenge cup have radio's were drivers all interact with each other. I know for sure a radio would have avoided a collision @ MSR in march.

I understand the cost aspect, but I have bought 2 sets of forgedline rims for my sons CMC car not only for unsprung wieght, brake fade but for the saftey factor as well as with the legal brakes he's using we cannot find any 16x8 rims that would clear the caliber thus the budget racing concept goes out the window!

I know guys we are competing against are using 25 dollar rims etc. but one should never compromise in racing...regardless.... saftey is to important and no matter what level its expensive to race.

How many guys in Texas will have to sit out an event when the Hans is mandatory..? so they shelp( i think that's a word) on brakes etc. A $400.00 radio should not be a big deal!

Thanks the show in FW should be a benifit for NASA,

Skip

Thanks, I'll get with her. On a side note whom to I talk to about @ the National level about getting Radio's legal for CMC.

I'm sure you know that most if not all race series have the use of radio's.

Example World cup and challenge cup have radio's were drivers all interact with each other. I know for sure a radio would have avoided a collision @ MSR in march.

I understand the cost aspect, but I have bought 2 sets of forgedline rims for my sons CMC car not only for unsprung wieght, brake fade but for the saftey factor as well as with the legal brakes he's using we cannot find any 16x8 rims that would clear the caliber thus the budget racing concept goes out the window!

I know guys we are competing against are using 25 dollar rims etc. but one should never compromise in racing...regardless.... saftey is to important and no matter what level its expensive to race.

How many guys in Texas will have to sit out an event when the Hans is mandatory..? so they shelp( i think that's a word) on brakes etc. A $400.00 radio should not be a big deal!

Skip

Racing is already expensive enough. A set of wheels from Forgeline is half of what I have into my car. We don't need $400 radios, especially if we have to buy an $800 HANS, which should also be optional.

.... I know for sure a radio would have avoided a collision @ MSR in march. A $400.00 radio should not be a big deal!

Skip

Skip, with all due respect, I cannot predict the future and I sure as hell can't change the past but to say that a radio "would have" prevented (avoided) the collision at MSR in March is a rather "bold" statement. Let me give you my lotto numbers and please tell me if they will be winners..mmk? I'm not trying to be a jerk here.. I'm trying to put more emphasis on driver ability and awareness. Relying on radio communication just doesn't fit anywhere in my book of "101 ways to Master the Driver First". All I see a radio as is a crutch. I'm busy as hell in the driver's seat.. doing what? Paying attention and not waiting for a spotter to tell me what's going on. I might as well put a friggin' Quadraphonic stereo in CMC17, lean over towards the center console and bounce my head up and down.

Flame away, but this is my opinion on the subject and if radio comm. is allowed in CMC, I will be out.

____

Eric F. Varner

CMC17 - 2004 CMC Texas Champion

Eric, thanks...I don't understand why everbody is freaking out(afraid) when I bring up the use of Radio's...talking with a few "pro" drivers that I know, its only a asset.

I understand the value of "budget racing", I just don't understand the fear.

Example, Scotts rim's (forgeline) are 14 plus lbs per rim, think of the unsprung wieght, less brake fade and saftey that a $40.00 dollar rim won't brake, he has an advantage, is his ablity @ 16 years old there yet....no but nobody has bitched about his rims or the value of his car but when I bring up radios..........yikes.

Were going to use communication in my AI car and when he races his Legend car use it there, I'm no longer going to pursue the radio's with CMC, however with Wayne moving down, I'm not sure the subject is over.......

See ya @TMS

Oh the rims are $420.00 each.......FYI

Skip

Skip,

I agree that there are plenty of items in CMC that can be expensive (rims, tires, etc.) and I also agree that there is great value in spotter to driver radio comms. A $400 radio set doesn't seem like a huge increase in the total cost of racing IMO.

What I don't agree with is allowing driver to driver radio communication during a race event although it has been deemed legal in AI. I especially think that radio comms between drivers of differing class cars in the SAME RUN GROUP is a bad idea and will only lend itself to possible allegations of intentional blocking.

If you are playing the safety card on this item, then the same value could be gained by having a spotter rather than a fellow driver providing track condition info to the driver. As I've stated before, I'm no expert on the topic - just my $.02 since you brought it to Ryan's attention here.

Mike, Thanks for the input, we talked about this in your Coach @ TWS, I'm for a Spotter @ the track, Scott and I are not wired to think about blocking anyone in a race situation, Todd whom is doing all the work on the #69 car, is the crew chief for a Cup Porsche team, where all the drivers have the option of not only comunicating with their own team but with others, when B. Archer run's World Challenge he say's its not uncommon for 7 drivers to be talking with each other @ one time.

We should have radio's by TWS, Scott will use his for Legends and when we are @ MSR each week we can use them then, I just don't get the mentality to use a spotter with CMC, my wife whom knows nothing of what we do (or as Scott and I as Rookies) seems to think having a spotter is only common sense.

We enjoy the company, friendship etc. of all the fellow competitors, It's a great environment for our son and great racing.

Skip

Awareness is the name of the game and in car radio comm. is key to awareness.

Eric, I do believe you can avoid incident with a good spotter and before you say other wise you may want to try them first. As I said it before great communications is key to any kind of racing. Just think of your stock car leaking oil or smoking badly, or something that can be avoided and your spotter communicating this to you before it blows up. This alone saves money and time.

I believe good communications on a radio could have helped the situation at MSR. We sure no that no radio didn't do any good! You guys are too scared of change.

There are CCR's that regulate position changes/blocking. Please read, this will help protect you. See Rule 25.4.4 Blocking. You also have an in-car video recorder for evidence. So try not to be so scared.

John G.

http://www.chicane23.com

On another note, if you don't think you need radios, then don't buy them. Just like the wheels Skip bought, if you don't think you need them, then don't buy them.

I just can't believe that radios are not legal in a road racing class, when so many professionals agree that they are a vital piece of equipment and we have amateurs saying there is no need for them.

John G.

http://www.chicane23.com

As I said previously, the CMC Directors in California have discussed radios.

The intent of CMC is low cost, low hassle racing. As such, radios add an expense to CMC that many competitors can't handle in their budgets. Notice, I didn't say anything about "need" or "safety".....it's about costs.

We'll bring it up again for the 2006 rules discussions, however, for 2005, don't wire up a radio in a CMC car.

And since we're on the subject of change.....the 3.0 circuit @ TWS in August should be fantastic.

One thing to consider is not the cost of equipment, but the fact that crew members are necessary for the correct operation of radios. I like the idea of allowing them and thier benefits, but I remember that in the first couple years of AI when I ran my own car I was a one man team. Whether I had radios or not I couldn't use them. There can be an advantage for those with a couple team members.

-V

Guys,

Let me make this very simple,radios do not fit into the CMC basis costs or spirit, as we will always keep costs to the lowest limits possible.

This has been discussed for years,so its been covered and voted against each year.

One other thing, Forgeline wheels on a CMC car,not a great idea when you come into tech with an exotic wheel..look CMC is about racing and racing fast but cheap.

There are a ton of wheels for $75-$100 that fit Mustangs and Camaros.

Exotic wheels are ones that you don't see on a car everyday,which is the reason that 95% of us use the stock or cheap aftermarket wheels on our cars.

Regards,

Tony Guaglione

CMC National Director

I guess personally I don't understand the issue with costs and Radios. This is a safety feature as any other safety device. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

Now for the wheels. The Forgelines are with in the rules below.

8.34. Wheels/Tires 8.34.1. All cars may use up to a maximum size 16"x 8" rim of one piece or two piece welded (non-exotic) construction.

I don't see an issue with the wheels according to the current rules.

From following these discussions for 4 years, it's ridiculous to keep arguing. Tony and the other directors are not likely to change their minds on some things. They have their ideas and stick to their guns on what is believed to be right for the class. If there is something that is a new idea, then bring it up, but bringing back old arguments doesn't do much.

Adam,

We will not be be running the 3.0 road course at TWS on Aug. 20-21, we will be running the normal 2.9.

See you there!

John G.

FYI, the Forgeline rims we bought are 18 plus pounds without wheels or weights.

The car show should be kudo's for NASA as there will be 25k plus folks veiwing the cars as well as a NASA banner that Todd C overnighted and an in-loop video in David D's car that will be great...Thanks to all

Skip

#69 AI