Why are we being confined?

Jon M.

• Members

It was my impression that NASA was originally started as a way for people to come out and race without being too confined by required parts and the such, more of a bring what you got we will find a place for you type of environment.

It is for this reason that I am writing this. I do not understand, and I admit that I may have read it incorrectly, why we will be required to run Toyo RA-1's next season for racing, especially in light of a growing market that now includes tires from Falken, 3 from Kumho, and now even Hankook. I can more than understand why each of our cars and classes are limited to certain tire sizes, but why remove the elements of competition, prep, and trial and error by limiting us to one tire?

J

Edited by Guest

There has been some spec tire discussion in the Honda Challenge forum. I'd suggest reading in there a bit for the answer to your question.

Jason

• Members
There has been some spec tire discussion in the Honda Challenge forum. I'd suggest reading in there a bit for the answer to your question.

Jason

Jason,

I appreciate your passing along this post to me, but I do not think it applies to me. I am not a H/C racer and do not qualify for the contingency program, hence my concerns. I have connections to Kumho and can get great prices on them, and have looked forward to their new DOT slick for some time now. There are many of us who may be required to run a tire that we may not want to run or for that matter maybe better off using something else. Again thanks for your pointing out that post to me.

Jon

NABR

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

Tires depends on your series, not NASA as a whole. Not everyone is limited to a brand- I'd talk to your series director.

In the SE-R Cup, we're allowed to run any of the Kumhos, Toyo, Hankook, etc.

-Jim