HPDE -> AI

darreng505

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on how to prepare for AI competition racing starting in the '14 season.

I am in solo HPDE (after 1 season, 20+ events) now. I am preparing my '12 boss and will have it full race-prep'd by a shop before next year.

In terms of classes, training or other NASA pre-requisites or certifications, what should I be doing/planning now for this season so I'm ready next year?

thanks.

I did a year of TT and would highly recommend it before going W2W. If you've never worked the corners, I would recommend a couple of weekends of that as well....valuable experience from a different perspective.

John

I did a year of TT and would highly recommend it before going W2W. If you've never worked the corners, I would recommend a couple of weekends of that as well....valuable experience from a different perspective.

John

Yeah, that's a good suggestion and something I recently considered. Puts it out another year, but has its advantages. I certainly want to be skilled and confident enough to compete in AI before entering.

I assume when you get your competition license you can only enter AI at the beginning of the season? Or anytime during?

What is required to get the race license to compete in AI? I have to complete all HPDE levels or be evaluated?

Hi

Welcome to AI. The process is pretty simple, all good ideas. Your AI series director in your region will be happy to walk you through the process. At a high level, work your way through all the HPDE levels. Make sure to tell your instructors your goals. Once signed off in HPDE 4 sign up for comp school. Make sure you have your car teched for racing, they will check all the safety stuff. Expect it to take a couple of attempts lots of details to cover and very easy to miss something.

Complete the comp school generally on Saturday, and race on Sunday. Most important have fun and be safe. Fast will come in time.

John

Yeah, that's a good suggestion and something I recently considered. Puts it out another year, but has its advantages. I certainly want to be skilled and confident enough to compete in AI before entering.

I assume when you get your competition license you can only enter AI at the beginning of the season? Or anytime during?

What is required to get the race license to compete in AI? I have to complete all HPDE levels or be evaluated?

You can enter your first race any time after comp school. No requirement to be the first of the season. If you want to go to nats you need 5 races to qualify. On can be a tt session so really just two weekends in most regions.

Some regions do their comp schools on Friday, or as part of a totally separate/special event, etc. fwiw. Best to check with your region and see

For Racing at Nats you can do 3 races + 2 TT days in years past but to run TT at Nats only 5 TT days will suffice though. FWIW and all that... could change, but it's been pretty consistent.