SI on RRs

Al F.

• Members

We decided to go ahead and formally allow RR tires in SI. Given there are essentially no SI cars fully built and on the track, it will never be less painful to switch from RA1s to the RRs than now. Toyo has assured us there are plenty on hand, and cost should be essentially break even (they cost a bit more but dont need to be shaved) assuming decent heat cycle durability. SI cars are going to be faaaast!

well shit man .seriously .. I have 4 sets of ra 1's that I was going to use .....wtf you guys and your rules ....

I hope you take these tires in consideration on spring rates if your making spring rates spec .

Rules slip.... in Spec Iron already.... well the cars need this to be fast and they need these. Gotta love it.

Same song, second verse. First verse "The S197s need 14" brakes and 18" tires to be fast in AI" I guess S197s in CMC shot that full of holes when the S197 showed up to play there and dominated.

The 11.75 lbs/hp spec class gets a tire that's closer to a true racing tire. While AI is still on a wanna be race tire that has to be shaved down or else.

Really???

Edited by Guest

Looks like we will be getting a years worth of data before we will run these. If they can make the tire work on a heavy SI car, they should do fine on our semi-piggy cars.

I just hope they wear better than the new and improved, post tsunami RA-1s

j

I've started to collect full tread RA1's for the conversion... Not sure when, but it appears that when Toyo says "jump", we grumple, "really", and then do it anyway...

• Members

Better to allow the RR now while very very few guys have tires. Changing at any time later means more drivers with more tires that they cant get full value from. Plus, a few drivers experimenting on these will help the larger body of AI drivers when it makes the jump.

I'm not sure how the RR performance will translate to the S197, but, I had a chance to run an almost new set of Hoosier R6's, RA1, and RR at Chuckwalla a few weekends ago. In my 944-Spec racecar, the RR was 1/2 second faster than the much larger Hoosier and felt better under all conditions (Race & TT). Of course it blew the RA1 away by almost 3 seconds a lap. I also ran them in the rain (yes rain in AZ!) for two days at Firebird on a tight short course where they performed at least as well as the RA1. Not a scientific test by any means, but impressive to me. I too went through the R888 disaster so I was worried all over again.

Time will tell for sure, but I am glad this change was made sooner rather than later. I still have an almost new set of R888's if anyone is interested!!

So Al/Todd,

Please confirm the shaved RR will be the ONLY tire used, rain or shine? Unlike other series that allow the Spec tire in an un-shaved/full tread for rain purposes, SI will only allow the shaved RR?

Thanks,

James Ray

68 NASA-SE

So Al/Todd,

Please confirm the shaved RR will be the ONLY tire used, rain or shine? Unlike other series that allow the Spec tire in an un-shaved/full tread for rain purposes, SI will only allow the shaved RR?

Thanks,

James Ray

68 NASA-SE

James, the RR's come one way (no shaving required). Same tire rain or shine.

i am getting feedback that the rr is faster than a hoosier r6. i will take that to mean they may really be

competitive with the hoosier. that would have an interesting effect on our sport.

Do they make the RR in other sizes then the 15" one listed?

I see the RS1 in several 18" sizes, but Toyo only shows 205/50/ZR15 RR's the Toyo web site.

EDIT: Never mind, see they have an 18" size (and two 15" sizes) on tireracks site.

rS1s were 1 second quicker than Hoosiers and 2 seconds slower than pzeros and Hoosier slicks.

Problem was by 3rd heat cycle they were off 4 seconds from pzeros. Would pick them over A6 Hoosiers without a doubt but over other slicks depends.

Very very forgiving like a ra1 so u can abuse with little fear. Good luck on that with other slicks.

Either way toyo contigency needs to be Hoosiers soon as those tires don't last any different at all.

guys ra 1's will be the rain tire. the rr is a full slick , Not much good in the rain.

Correction ...RR is a molded DOT tire not a full slick. The Toyo full slick is the RS1.

rS1s were 1 second quicker than Hoosiers and 2 seconds slower than pzeros and Hoosier slicks.

Problem was by 3rd heat cycle they were off 4 seconds from pzeros. Would pick them over A6 Hoosiers without a doubt but over other slicks depends.

Very very forgiving like a ra1 so u can abuse with little fear. Good luck on that with other slicks.

Either way toyo contigency needs to be Hoosiers soon as those tires don't last any different at all.

I think you'll find now that the RS1 is better than the above test....

i will have a good report after sebring in two weeks. drew at toyo as made himself available for contact and advice throughout the event. he has asked me to scuff the tires in. i'd hope there would be more than two fast heat cycles if we are going to throw the first one way. i am confident.

the reviews on the rr ive seen have been pretty impressive. it would tend to follow that the rs1 might be also good. i am mostly looking for steady performance out of the gate. phil has been helpful as well.