Quick Release Hub?

dragonballspeed

Hey guys, I am putting the finishing touches on my parts list to get things up and going, and one area that confuses me is the certification for quick release hubs. Originally I was looking to replace my column with a Woodward unit, but money dictates I skip that piece for now. This brings me to my question: is there anywhere in the rules (NASA CCR) that states you have to run a FIA rated quick release hub?

I currently have a Momo steering wheek and Sparco hub adapter, and planned on getting a QR from Lifeline. What class of racing does the FIA certification really apply too in this case? And I guess if it doesn't have to be FIA certified, then getting a QR hub with yellow pull ring doesn't matter either. Thanks for chiming in.

I have seen plenty of cars with non-FIA quick-release hubs that received a racing logbook. FIA hubs are not common, if that helps. Many cars use a typical Longacre or Sweet hub, with a few spending big money on a Sparco.

As TT falls under the HPDE guidelines, you should be fine.

FWIW, I am currently building a partial steering column (it will only replace the OEM column that has no collapsible parts; all OEM collapsible parts are being retained) that will use 0.750" OD x 0.120" wall DOM steel tube, a pair of 0.007" oversized rod ends, a pair of stop collars, and a Woodward quick-release (likely QRA697-2). While this is not typically permitted (or is questionable), detailed drawings were prepared and submitted to NASA for review and approval prior to fabrication.

Mark

<-- logbooked racecar with NASA and SCCA

<-- OEM column with NRG 2.5 quick release

Get a nice durable safe one within your budget. I'm not a huge fan of the hex-head or spline drive units that can go on multiple ways but that's not the end of the world. Also the hex head ones seem to get the sloppiest the fastest... from what I've seen anyway, could be just the brand or something.

I have a spline-style that is not FIA. I have been racing since '11.

Yes it can go on any which way. However, where TDC (Top Dead Center) is on my bolt-on hub, I used a different bolt than the other 5 holes so that I can easily identify where TDC is.

The reason I got the one I have is two-fold. First, it is SUPER light and easy to operate. Second, it is not common like the NRG and since my car has no windows and I still drive it on the street once in a while...

It does has a tiny bit of slop/play but I only feel it if I sit there and try to shake it. While racing, I don't feel it.

<-- logbooked racecar with NASA and SCCA

<-- OEM column with NRG 2.5 quick release

Get a nice durable safe one within your budget. I'm not a huge fan of the hex-head or spline drive units that can go on multiple ways but that's not the end of the world. Also the hex head ones seem to get the sloppiest the fastest... from what I've seen anyway, could be just the brand or something.

2nd what Ken said.

Oh, and removing the button from my NRG hub was the best thing I ever did.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Sweet quick release on mine, I love it. I think it is way better than those NRG or Sparco hubs but requires fabrication.

The Lifelines are super nice. Get one with the 8 pin Lemo electrical connector for a super slick switch and control install.

ll.grpn.elec..jpg

I have the NRG as well...

Never heard of deleting the button.

Thanks for the tip. I will check that out too.

I"ve had mine for 4+ years, still solid as a rock.

Very happy with it.