H4 CRX Dx to Si Body Swap?

NateOwen

So I recently got my NASA provisional license and my 89 CRX Dx is almost completely prepped. Since there is no HC going on in Texas, I thought it would be awesome to start it up again by prepping for H4. However, on the 2013 rules, I see the Dx is removed from the list of cars available. Only the Si remains. I think this could easily be solved by doing an Si conversion. Unfortunately, I'm a little confused by the 2013 change on the Body Swap rules per 7.10.1. It looks like the examples of swaps are completely crossed out. The only advantage of a Dx shell is that it has no sunroof, which needs to be removed from the Si. So I'm sure that under the 2012 rules, this swap would have been legal. I'm really just thrown off because of the example crossed out.

Assuming the body swap is still legal, my proposed setup is:

1) Change to the D16A6 Si engine and use a MPFI converted harness

2) Technically the only difference on the Si transmission is the final drive, which according to the rules, can be swapped anyway. So a Dx tranny with any final drive should work.

3) Add the Si Rear Sway bar

4) Swap to Si Rear Trailing arms and disk brakes (I wish Integra arms worked, because they are much easier to find)

5) Per the rules, any Honda OEM steering rack is allowed, so I don't think I need to worry about swapping to the Si.

Can anyone help me with some guidance? I suppose as a last resort, I could just race PT until I'm ready for H2, but I was really hoping to start up HC and having the entry-level class available.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, body swaps are allowed for all of HC competition. The main thing for H4 is that you cannot "create" a model that was never produced my Honda (example: '96 Civic DX HB swapped with D16Y8 to make a Civic EX would not be allowed because the EX never came in a HB form).

For your specific case, you are correct on all of your proposed setup stuff, except that you don't have to go to the Si Rear Trailing Arms and disc brakes as the '88-'89 CRX Si's came with the same rear drums that the DX's have. Also, you can upgrade to any Rear Sway Bar, not just the Si.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions you may have as I've had three (3) CRX's and three (3) EF Civic Si HB's, all built to HC spec's.

Regards,

Sam

If I were you I would stick with the drum brakes. They are lighter than the disc brakes and worked perfect on the H4 CRX I used to own.

While the drums stop the car fine when I changed them out for rear disc on my accord, the pedal travel tightened up a lot. You can adjust the drums to get them close to the same level but they need to be constantly adjusted if you want the same pedal feel, something I did not want to deal with.

I have the same experience as Karl. The drums worked just fine, though the pedal would start to get a little longer toward the end of the longer races (35-40 mins). Going to the '90-'91 CRX Si rear discs is the easy button, especially when I went to the Cobalt pads all the way around (XR-2 front and XR-5 rear)...awesome brakes all the time!

Regards,

Sam

Yes, body swaps are allowed for all of HC competition. The main thing for H4 is that you cannot "create" a model that was never produced my Honda (example: '96 Civic DX HB swapped with D16Y8 to make a Civic EX would not be allowed because the EX never came in a HB form).

For your specific case, you are correct on all of your proposed setup stuff, except that you don't have to go to the Si Rear Trailing Arms and disc brakes as the '88-'89 CRX Si's came with the same rear drums that the DX's have. Also, you can upgrade to any Rear Sway Bar, not just the Si.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions you may have as I've had three (3) CRX's and three (3) EF Civic Si HB's, all built to HC spec's.

Regards,

Sam

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, that's how I understood the body swap rules, that you could not create a new model, such as EX knuckles and brakes to make an CRX EX. At least not for H4 in this example.

So realistically, I could race H4 with simply a D16A6 swap and the sway bar (I already had an Si sway bar given to me, so I figured I'd throw that on). I did see where you could run any sway bar you wanted, but I should have clarified in my description.

However, to be competitive, having an Si tranny or a DX tranny with a better final drive would be a must-have upgrade. Also, I've read that the Si Steering rack can really help the feel of the car on track. And, from the feedback I'm getting here, it sounds like ditching the drums for Si rear disks would be a good idea if my brakes start to lose pedal feel during the race.

There is virtually no Honda Challenge going in Texas right now, so I'll probably end up racing the DX in PT as I slowly mod up to H4 Si specs. But this is good information.

• 2 months later...

Bringing this one back as it's been the closest discussion to answers that I am looking for.

I have a 92-95 Civic DX sedan that I plan on running in H4. The only difference between the DX and the LX is the rear discs and ABS. I have already purchased an LX rear disc swap and I think ABS is inconsequential so I'm just not going to add it; would this be a legal swap still allowing me to run in H4? Outside of the rear discs, there are no structural advantages between the two...

Edit: I guess the rear discs/ABS option on the LX was a very rare option and also included 10.3" front rotors ... which means that I would need to do rear discs AND the larger fronts and be legal. I'm liking this...

Bringing this one back as it's been the closest discussion to answers that I am looking for.

I have a 92-95 Civic DX sedan that I plan on running in H4. The only difference between the DX and the LX is the rear discs and ABS. I have already purchased an LX rear disc swap and I think ABS is inconsequential so I'm just not going to add it; would this be a legal swap still allowing me to run in H4? Outside of the rear discs, there are no structural advantages between the two...

Edit: I guess the rear discs/ABS option on the LX was a very rare option and also included 10.3" front rotors ... which means that I would need to do rear discs AND the larger fronts and be legal. I'm liking this...

If it was an option on the LX you wouldn't need to do those to be legal. ABS can be disabled/removed for all classes.

Well I understand that, but as the car was originally bought as a DX and I want to make it an LX, wouldn't this be considered a 'body swap'? It was never offered as an option on any model except the LX.

Well I understand that, but as the car was originally bought as a DX and I want to make it an LX, wouldn't this be considered a 'body swap'? It was never offered as an option on any model except the LX.

Correct. If you chose to do the larger 10.3" front brakes and rear disc conversion you would have to submit the vehicle as a LX body swap.