Window net question

jdlingle

Doing some research for my next build. In my last car I had a spring mounted upper window net install kit. It worked fine, but it could be hard to anchor the rear of the net inside the car, especially if I forgot to do it before belting in.

Did some checking around and saw that a lot of the Grand Am Mustangs use a pretty ingenious way to mount the window net. The top bar is anchored at the rear through what appears to be a rod end and a seat belt mounting tab, allowing the net to drop to the ground at the front, then simply be lifted up to the buckle when it’s time to put it back up.

I have looked everywhere I can think of on the internet and I cannot find this setup for sale anywhere. Does anyone know if this is a custom setup or is it commercially available? If so, where? Thanks in advance guys. I am going to try and post a picture below showing what I am talking about.

StrippedS19714Boss302Interior-Copy_zps9e844145.jpg

this is the product that is in your photo

http://www.safecraft.com/Mhead-windowSets.php

i would imagine the drivers use the front fitting to drop the net to get in and out. Given the hardware, I'll bet it has a really sweet clicking action when locked and unlocked. it took awhile to find this (from what i read, this net is required by Grand Am rules) and when i saw the price i had to move on.

That's an interesting find on the left side net grand am cars run, but I'm talking about The area circled in blue in the picture. Its the normal drivers window net, it just had a different mount than I've seen before.

The setup in your pic is exactly what we run on our S197 AI car. It works very well and can be managed by the driver once you're belted in. On our Fox AI car, we have the rod and buckle in Will's link to OG Racing. I think the only difference is the rod end that has been welded on.

I also haven't seen the setup for sale any where. It was on our S197 when we bought it from Robin. I'm going to see if I can make a rod end work on the Fox. Right now, I have to have someone else put the net up after I'm in the car. If I do the rod end, I'm not sure I can get in and out the window with the net dropped at an angle. The Fox has NASCAR door bars that come to the base of the window and the window isn't huge to begin with.

j

That looks like a right side net on the window (left) side. Something doesn't seem right.

It appears there are two nets on Martin's car. One smaller triangular net with the Grand Am style latch, and a more conventional net with the seat belt buckle and heim joint.

Ignore the rusty hardware...I need to swap that black oxide bolt for a stainless one...

The net drops well out of the way when down, and as long as the latch does not get tangled up in the net when it's down I can put it up by myself when I'm strapped in.

000_0002-1_zpsb1f14dc4.jpg

000_0003-1_zpsdc969fa2.jpg

000_0006-1_zpsce884439.jpg

That's exactly what I was looking for Will. Thanks!

I see the bottom tab on the rear, but how do you mount the bottom tab at the front to allow for the movement?