Possible to Keep Factory 3pt Seatbelt WITH 6pt Harness?

dsc off

I started a topic here: http://www.nasaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=1

regarding harness and roll bars with bucket seats. I got the answer I'm looking for and plan on installing a 4pt roll bar in the upcoming weeks. However I still intend on driving to/from events so my next question -- how does one to retain the factory 3 point seat belt in conjunction with a harness?

Edited by Guest

I don't see why you couldn't. I don't know how you will run them in your car, but I guess I got lucky. The Viper is set up for the them from the factory, so I have 6 points on both seats that I use at the track. When I'm not at the track, I just put everything behind the seat and use my regular belt. I assume you could do the same.

As long as the seat you have can accommodate a 6-point harness correctly AND does not have high sides so as not to allow a 3-point belt to sit across your lap correctly, I don't see why not.

I think I wrote that right...hangover at work FTL...

This is not 100% legal by the books but it is what I did when I had a dual purpose car. I would bolt in the 3 point belt for daily driving and the day before the event, I would take it out and install the harnesses. I'm sure there are more creative ways to do it out there but that is what I did to get the best of both worlds.

Is the OEM 3 pt seat belt buckle mounted to the car body (like the trans tunnel) or to the seat? If the seat, I think you could do it if you get a bracket that is designed for the car and that has a place to mount the OEM 3 pt seat belt buckle.

Assuming you can get the lap belt portion to lay correctly across your lap, then you should be good for the OEM 3 pt. You would then need a seat designed with a pass through for the sub straps, and then mount the harnesses to the car at the appropriate locations.

I replied in your other post as to what I did for my one-piece seat and OEM 3 pt setup. I got a vehicle-specific bracket from planted technologies, mounted Sparco side mount brackets to it, and then mounted the seat to the side mount brackets. I will say that it is not a comfy DD setup, but I do not DD the car, so I can deal with it.

I plan on a 4 point bar and harnesses soon, but I wanted to get the seat in first with the OEM 3 pt system.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I drove my corvette on the street with a harness bar, 5 point harness, and the OEM 3 point. My after market seats would work with either harness or OEM 3 point. Some people will have a set of race seat(s) for track days that they just swap in and out with the OEM seats.