Racing Series with Most Competitors

memphisracing.com

I have a 2010 Corvette Z06, have done some NASA HPDE events at the local track (Memphis International Raceway), and am HPDE 3 there. Interested in progressing into actual road racing, but keenly aware that 1) my Z06 is too expensive for me to thrash and trash as well as 2) it would be darn costly on tires.

It seems time to buy a dedicated track car and my concern is longevity of the racing series I choose. Thus my question is: in terms of the history of the various series, which one has the largest following? I know locally in the Mid South region, Spec E30 has 3 regulars with a 4th coming soon and there are over half a dozen Spec 944 cars in various stages of build as well as a few American Iron cars that show up on occasion. Nationally, what are the top racing series in total entrants?

I want to hitch my wagon to a series that will last. My driving experience is specifically with Corvettes, S2000s, 350Zs, and NSXs so RWD is my natural preference.

Class participation is pretty regional, even in the biggest classes. On a national level, NASA doesn't have too many orphan classes left. Any of the Spec classes are solid nationally, as is CMC, & AI Best bet is to go with what you see locally. As you've mentioned, Shawn Taylor has a hoard of 944 Spec cars in the build out by you. I am of course a little biased , but I can tell you 944 Spec numbers were up 10% Nationally year over year, and we are looking towards another huge turnout at Miller for National (looking to break the 30 car record there this year!). This class has legs!

You will find a bunch of helpful people, and build threads over on http://www.944%20Spec.org. The cars are huge fun to drive, and as a class we really prioritize driver development, data sharing, and the art of racing. It doesn't cost too much to build even a highly competitive car, and then spend your money on track time, and learning to drive better! Let me know if I can help in any way.

• Members

For contingency sake and fun level, I don't think you can beat either 944 Spec or Spec E30.

We have 4 Spec E30s at every event and need a 5th to get to the much improved contingency level. Jim Levie, our Lightning race group and Spec E30 director, can help you get in a car quickly.

Our 944 Spec group is growing rapidly and we will have 5 racers before the end of the year. We have two project cars ready for purchase and people willing to help.

If you just have to have a higher horsepower car, I think AI, CMC, or Spec Iron is the way to go. I know of an AI car for sale in the region to the right person.