can a short guy and tall guy use the same miata?

joe z72

My friend and I are thinking about buying a miata to race. He's 6'4" and i'm 5'5". Is there some way to make this work out? I would guess/hope some kind of insert could be made. If this is the case does anyone know a company or guy who does this kind of thing? I live in the san francisco bay area. Thanks.

• Members
My friend and I are thinking about buying a miata to race. He's 6'4" and i'm 5'5". Is there some way to make this work out? I would guess/hope some kind of insert could be made. If this is the case does anyone know a company or guy who does this kind of thing? I live in the san francisco bay area. Thanks.

We had a cushion insert made by a local uphostery shop. Works pretty well.

• 6 months later...

You might be better off getting into a different series in that case. NASA has tons of spec series to choose from. Personally i would go with the brand new Spec Z series! The series consists of Nissan 350z race cars so that means tons of leg room for the tall guy and seat adjustment for the short guy. Plus the cars are faster than the miatas, Spec Z has a cash payout for each race weekend, and you can pick up a Z for cheaper than a miata!

Hope this helps!

6'4" is on the tall side but still doable for SM - at least I've seen it done before anyway. I know there has to be a ton of race shops out there, but not knowing them first hand exactly... I'd ping some locals and get a sense of who's reputable out there.