oil temp vs water temp

Carson

any "rule of thumb" recommended temp range for safe operating range for 5 lts. V8's.

is it generaly acceptable to have oil temp 50 degrees above water temp for max hp ?? cmc #6

• 3 weeks later...

Carson,

Kinda sad no one with a 5.0 V8 responded to you yet. Most of the AI guys with your engine are running 190 to 200 water temp and 200 to 220 oil temps I believe. In my cobra DOHC 4.6L motor, I run 210-220 water and 200 to 210 oil temps in the heat of the races.

Andy

• Members

Not sure what the "rule of thumb" is but I'm running 190-200 water temps and 240-260 oil temps in my GT40 crate motor. I feel like the oil temp is a tad high so I plan on adding an oil cooler when time and money allow. This is a new crate motor and these were my temps last weekend at Roebling Road, Savannah, GA. And if you've ever been to Savannah in July you know how hot it can get - I think it was 94-96 degrees with 10000000% humidity!!! These were my temps during the heat of the race. Hope this helps.

Peace out,

Ed