First Suit

wera44

Im doing my first HPDE at the next Road Atlanta round and I would like to get a suit before then. Looking for suggestions on what to buy and what I should expect to spend. I don't want to go out and just buy the most expensive suit I can find. I want something of good quality that will last a number of years.

Thanks

HPDE requires drivng suits now?

As you are running Road Atlanta, I assume you are in the south. Driving suits tend to be hot. As a starter suit I would take a look at lightweight single layer, 2 piece suits. Those would be most comfortable in a HPDE environment, and all you need to do is add underwear to be race legal, and they are relatively cheap.

Now many will tell you that 1 piece suits are safer, and they are, especially with a layed back driving position in a formula car. But I don't think it makes a lot of difference in a production car, and just look at all the time a typical driver spends with his suit pulled down & tied around his waist. Just think how much more comfortable he would be if he could just take off the jacket.

Others will say to get as much protection as you can, but notice than very few of these are wearing dragster style, SFI-15 (not SFI-5 or FIA) suits, which provide the most protection. And if you are in the south, in a car without AC, heat stroke in a hot driving suit maybe more of a threat than fire. There is a school of thought that says wear a lightweight 2 or 3 layersuit without underwear (underwear seems to be recommended by the experts though), and you can get down to shorts & a T shirt between runs. But this really only applies if you are racing, and would be forced to wear fire resistant underwear if only using a single layer suit.

Doesn't Jeg's or Summit Racing have a big store in the Atlanta area? That would be a good place to look at & try on suits if you live near by.

HPDE doesnt require a suit but I plan on racing eventually so I figured I might as well invest in one. Coming from motorcycle road racing background I cant imagine that it will be any hotter than full leathers. Thanks for the advice guys.

If you are in the Atlanta area call Ron at Discovery Parts - then go to his shop.

Get measured, try some on

Closer than Summit's store

• 1 month later...

I actually went by the Summit store while I was in Atlanta a couple weeks ago. It was a complete waste of time as they didn't have any safety gear in their retail store.