Harness Question

SubieEngineer

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I suppose it never hurts to ask to be sure! I'm hoping to do my first NASA HPDE next weekend at Texas World Speedway and have just purchased a Schroth Rallye 4 harness. Looking at the rules, I realize that driver and passenger restraints don't have to match (factory belts still installed with stock seats). I will be following Schroth's instructions to the letter to install them in my 07 STI. I would've purchased the Quick Fit, but accordint to Schroth, it won't work in mid-06+ Imprezas due to a redesign of the seatbelt. My question is, is this harness OK by the rules given that it does meet FMVSS 209, but does not explicitely state that it's made for the STI...? Thanks!

Schroth Rallye 4: http://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/rallye/rallye-4

11.3-2:

The driver and any passenger must utilize modern style stock seatbelts in very good condition, or a DOT

approved restraint system, while operating a vehicle on the track. Lap belts used without any shoulder

restraints are not permitted. Restraint system requirements are listed in Section #11.4.8. The only

four-point belt systems that are allowed for use in HPDE / TT are 1) those that carry an “FIA B-xxx.T/08

certification, or 2) those that carry a label from the belt manufacturer stating that the belts meet Federal

Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 209 AND that the belts were designated for the specific vehicle

(e.g. “For use only in BMW E36 models”). Such label must be easily visible to the NASA inspector.

Note- four-point belt sets that have a DOT-only certification are not allowed.

1) those that carry an “FIA B-xxx.T/08 certification

or

2) those that carry a label from the belt manufacturer stating that the belts meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 209 AND that the belts were designated for the specific vehicle (e.g. “For use only in BMW E36 models”).

So does it carry an FIA B-xxx.T/08 rating? If not, then it needs to be specific to that vehicle. That is how I read this.

1) those that carry an “FIA B-xxx.T/08 certification

or

2) those that carry a label from the belt manufacturer stating that the belts meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 209 AND that the belts were designated for the specific vehicle (e.g. “For use only in BMW E36 models”).

So does it carry an FIA B-xxx.T/08 rating? If not, then it needs to be specific to that vehicle. That is how I read this.

That's how I read it, as well. I don't think it has a FIA B-XXX rating, unfortunately. At least, if it does, it's not listed on the web site.

My question is, is this harness OK by the rules given that it does meet FMVSS 209, but does not explicitely state that it's made for the STI...? Thanks!

It is not ok. Either the belt needs to have the correct FIA certification or be FMVSS 209 certified and made specificially for that vehicle.

I'd return them to Schroth and ask for a set you can use in the Subie if they make one.

My question is, is this harness OK by the rules given that it does meet FMVSS 209, but does not explicitely state that it's made for the STI...? Thanks!

It is not ok. Either the belt needs to have the correct FIA certification or be FMVSS 209 certified and made specificially for that vehicle.

I'd return them to Schroth and ask for a set you can use in the Subie if they make one.

Well, that stinks. Guess I'll just use it for AX, then. I'll contact Schroth and see if there's any possible solution, but I won't be holding my breath. Schroth (and no one else that I'm aware of, for that matter) doesn't make a harness certified for the 07 STI.

• 2 weeks later...