Questions on TTB-TTF classing

F430GTRad

I'm debating with a NASA-TT driver in regards to interpretation of the NASA-TT rules.

Appendix B “Adjusted Weight/Power Ratio” Calculation for TTB-TTF, establishes W/P ratio limits.

My interpretation of the rules is the following:

1) For a given car, search for the car listed in the Base Classifications list. This list contains the base NASA-TT class for a car in Base Model Trim (BMT). If the car is not listed, contact the National TT director.

2) If a car has one (*) it takes 7 points penalty, a car listed with two (**) takes 14 points penalty

3) A car cannot exceed 19 modification points, otherwise it needs to be bumped to faster classes. The points in excess of 19 are carried over to the next class.

4) Once the car has reached a class based on points, the car also has to satisfy the weight/power limits of that class, otherwise it would get bump to faster classes, despite of having enough points to stay in a slower class.

My interpretation is that a car has to satisfy both: the Points limit and also the Weight/Power ratio limit

His/Their interpretation is the following:

1) Weight/Power ratio or Base Classification List establishes the base class. This means one or the other can be used

2) Then add points based on the modifications, and bump up classes using the points.

An example:

An Audi TT-225Hp. It is listed as a TTD car in the list.

On my interpretation, the Audi-TT 225Hp will start at TTD and move up depending on modification points.

On his/their interpretation, the same Audi would startw in TTF given a race weight (with fuel and driver) of 3,550 lbs that puts 180whp on a dyno.

Which one is correct?

You are correct. The only way the base class of a car changes from the rules is if a dyno reclass is issued by the national director. That reclass will give you a new base class, weight and dyno HP limit.

However, the adjusted P/W limits are an overriding rule. Even if a car is classed solely on points it still can not exceed the adjusted P/W for the class. Basically you can move up a class on P/W, but not down without an official reclass.

Your base class is tied to your listing or your official reclass email from Greg and *nothing else*. What are they smoking that they're seeing where you can just make up your own base class?

The only reason the adjusted hp/weight stuff is even talked about in TTB-F is to put a cap on each class to keep everyone in the same rough ballpark. You have to be good on points AND hp/weight adjusted ratio

The only reason the adjusted hp/weight stuff is even talked about in TTB-F is to put a cap on each class to keep everyone in the same rough ballpark. You have to be good on points AND hp/weight adjusted ratio

Exactly.

His interpretation is trying to apply this logic to the starting point of a vehicle when it only applies as a ceiling that each vehicle has to stay under for its class.

Hey Rad, I would like to know who your other NASA-TT driver is so that I can determine how much of his car will be disassembled in tech next time. Feel free to send me a private e-mail or throw him under the bus publicly. Good times!

Mark

Hey Rad, I would like to know who your other NASA-TT driver is so that I can determine how much of his car will be disassembled in tech next time. Feel free to send me a private e-mail or throw him under the bus publicly. Good times!

Mark

Public flogging is good.

Mark

Peter

Mark

Peter

Figures....

Mark

Peter

Figures....

You of so little faith.

Peter

Apparently, I'm not 100% correct, based on the "confidential" West Coast NASA-TT driver.

The Regional TT director can re-class a car down, based on weight/power ratio from what is listed in the rule book. So, a German TTD* or TTD** car goes down to TTD based on W/P ratio, then adds points based on modifications.

I would let the "confidential" driver chime in, as he frequents these forums.

It's not super secret.

We had a 1997 Acura Integra Type-R running in TTE (E** reclass, D base) years ago and he ran 205 RA1s (0 points [+7 compound -7 size]) Koni shocks (+3) and exhaust (+2). I killed his old record at the 2 tracks he had records at but basically he did it just to do it.

Downsizing by tire is on the points-based system, and has nothing to do with re-assigning a base class based on W/P. Only the TT national director can do that.