Miata or Mustang for trackday car??

sydewaysix

I'm looking for some expert advice from all you fellow NASA racers. I'm trying to decide whether to get a Miata or a Mustang for a trackday car. I don't intend to get into any race series, but you never know!

I'm coming from owning a 1998 cobra with full maximum motorsports suspension (One of the top suppliers for mustang road race suspension). The cobra was an awesome DE car that I used to learn and go up from HPDE1 to HPDE4, but I recently sold it and totally regret it. Now, I'm so tempted to get into a miata due to it being cheaper on the pockets and hearing stories of how fun they are on a race track, but I'm not sure I can withstand the low(er) hp/tq that these cars have.

I understand that both cars are completely different, but what is your guys' take on this? Will I crave for the HP/TQ of the mustang, or does the Miata's handling and balance make up for that? My mustang was a pig, but it was very stable with all the suspension work I did to it.

Thanks for your advice in advance! CHEERS!

I have driven Mustangs my entire DE years. I have also debated on what I would go to next, that could be cheaper and still be fun. My plan was to look for a Spec E30 in the next year or two. They are lighter than a Mustang and the straight six is torquey enough to pull out of the corners.

If I do get a miata will I crave for more power though? I'm used to having a lot of torque from the v8 coming out of an slow turn.

1. How tall are you?

Folks 6 ft. or taller sometimes have a hard time fitting under the roll bar in a Miata.

2. Do you have a truck/trailer or have space for a tire trailer?

You can't fit 4 track tires inside a Miata, so you either have to put the car on a trailer or tow a tire trailer behind the Miata if you want different tires for the track.

3. How much money do you have for track car/track days

Miatas are not expensive, go fast parts for Miatas are not expensive, tires for Miatas are not expensive. You can spend more money on trackdays on the same budget. Seat time is fun time.

I'm 5'10". I drive my RS-3's/Rivals to the track. I sign up for as many trackdays as are available in my area. I have a Miata.

if you want a miata with more power, look on miataturbo.net for a used miata that already has boost and preferably a good suspension setup and safety mods done too. there is a ton of aftermarket forced induction options for miatas that are well put together. save the time and money and get someones already setup car. just be careful that it is a well put together car and not something cobled together. dyno sheets with A/F plot is a big selling tool IMHO.

Miata.

I ran through the DE ranks in a Supercharged and naturally aspirated 99 Cobra, now I race a Z06, and I have a daily driven Miata that I also use to instruct my daughters in DE. The Miata is by far the cheapest to own and maintain and is extremely fun to drive.

If I do get a miata will I crave for more power though? I'm used to having a lot of torque from the v8 coming out of an slow turn.

That's the beauty of a Miata; no turn is a slow turn because it actually handles well.

You will likely crave more power no matter what car you have.

The biggest downfall of the miata is that if you're not a good driver, you will have a lot of people outrunning you in similar cars with no easy excuses about why (except your driving).

• 2 weeks later...
The biggest downfall of the miata is that if you're not a good driver, you will have a lot of people outrunning you in similar cars with no easy excuses about why (except your driving).

+1 Big horsepower often covers up for a multitude of driver shortcomings in HPDE.

1. How tall are you?

1. Folks 6 ft. or taller sometimes have a hard time fitting under the roll bar in a Miata.

2. Do you have a truck/trailer or have space for a tire trailer?

You can't fit 4 track tires inside a Miata, so you either have to put the car on a trailer or tow a tire trailer behind the Miata if you want different tires for the track.

3. How much money do you have for track car/track days

Miatas are not expensive, go fast parts for Miatas are not expensive, tires for Miatas are not expensive. You can spend more money on trackdays on the same budget. Seat time is fun time.

I'm 5'10". I drive my RS-3's/Rivals to the track. I sign up for as many trackdays as are available in my area. I have a Miata.

MIATA! Cheap, fun to drive, and will help you develop as a driver at a much faster pace. Also, the wear items like tires and brake pads are cheaper and they last longer since the car is so light as well.

The car has 110RWHP with only intake that I made for 40 bucks and a test pipe, that power level is just fine. It's a lot of fun trying to figure out how many corners you can take at a track without lifting at all

Also, time for some myth busting lol.

1. I'm 6'5" 250lbs and fit in a 1994 Miata just fine and still pass the "broomstick" test. It takes patience, an aluminum seat and some imagination but it's doable if you have a roll bar fabricated instead of buying a bolt in one.

If anyone is wondering this is the drivers seat:

http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/catalog/Circle-Track-Seats/Full-Containment-Circle-Track-Seats/VS-Halo-Seat/142

2. False, I can fit four 15x8" 6UL's with 225/45R15 NT01's in the passenger seat area with a hard top on. Still have the whole trunk for other supplies. If you don't have a hard top it's even easier, two tires + other supplies in the passenger seat area, and then tie the other two to the roll bar like a trophy truck lol.

The passenger seat I have is bolted to the floor and only 1" away from the rear wall.

Passenger seat:

http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/catalog/Road-Race-Seats/Standard-Road-Race-Seats/Spec-Miata-Seat/161

3. True!

I'm 6'1" and have inches to spare under the broomstick with my Kirkey seat and an off the shelf Hard Dog rollbar.

Replacement front brake rotors can be found for under $20. I use old Spec Miata tires that I get cheap or free.

If you like to tinker, mine makes twice the stock horsepower on a stock engine with a cheap Chinese turbo, used $50 fuel injectors, and a used $400 standalone ECU, amongst other things.

After 10 years of HPDEing in a higher HP car with bigger expenses on Tires/Brakes/Fuel, I went to a Miata and am now on my 2nd Miata and moved over to Time Trials and then W2W very quickly (did Spec Miata for 4 years and now doing PTE with my 2nd caged Miata that can easily go from PTE to SM)

Anyway, I loved how even damage wasn't as bad as the more expensive car (replacing a bumper, fender, mirror, bumper support, belly tray + paint at a body shop and misc. all under $2000 while just a bumper cover unpainted on my former HPDE track rat Porsche alone was $1800 <-- ask me how I know!)

I loved going from $200 Rotors to $15 rotor... and $1800+ for a set of dedicated track tires to $750 for a set that lasted twice as long if not longer.

The consumables are still there but at significantly less cost.

so MIATA all the way!!!

PS: Miata is also uber reliable if solid foundation... ...had 3 people using my Miata on a Saturday last year at Gateway and then 2 people on a Sunday and all it needed was an oil change and tires after that use!

• Members

I have both and I would get the Miata.

Similar to your experience, I have an American Iron Mustang with full Maximum Motorsports suspension. I love the car and will probably never part with it.

I bought a '94 Miata when we started an autocross program last year. Since then I have used it in both auto-x and track days. Simply put, that thing is a blast to drive and darn near indestructible.. You can't lose.

easy to solve

Z06miata.jpg

You want to talk about change in vehicles? I went from tracking my Viper with over 500 hp and tq to the wheels, to a Thunder Roadster with maybe 125 hp!

There's nothing out there cheaper to run than a TR that can run the same type lap times. The Hoosiers are $100 each and last a full season or more. Brakes are like $250 for all four rotors and pads and last 1-2 seasons. The biggest drawback from a learning standpoint, if you're fairly new to tracking/racing, is that it's a single seat car. The only time this is a slight drawback for me is when I visit a new track. Sure, I'll pick up the track pretty quickly, and sometimes jump in the car with someone who knows the track, but being able to have someone in your own car, with you driving, really cuts down the timeframe.

As for power envy, yes I do have it! lol So far, I've only run the TR at Road Atlanta (which is a power track, if you aren't familiar with it) and it's an absolute blast to drive, except for the back straight. I'm used to hitting the brakes right around 160 in the Viper. In the TR, I can get to 104 before heading down the hill to 10A. Once I crest the hill, I'll get to 115 before hitting the brakes. The car is awesome everywhere else, but it would be nice to have another 100 hp or so for the long straight.