availability of 93 octane?

circuitmstr

In florida we get 93 at the pump and that is what my car is tuned on. Will 93 octane be available at regular gas stations or at the track in Utah? I would hate to have to bring too much gas out there...

Also, What will some of you be doing to re-tune for the altitude that are coming from closer to sea level like me in Florida?

I've only seen 90 and 91 for Premium in Utah myself..

but this is interesting:

"Octane is the ability of a fuel to resist knock, and high-compression engines tend to knock more. The obverse of that is that lower-compression engines can run on lower-octane gas. Air is thinner the higher above sea level you go. Less air going into the cylinders means less pressure at top dead center when things go bang. It's a lot like lowering the compression ratio in the engine, reducing the need for high octane. Cars will run just fine on lower-octane fuel when they're well above sea level--and all of those states are. Hopefully, by the time you get back down to denser air, you've burned off most of the low-octane stuff, and can refill the tank with higher-grade fuel.

Read more: 30 Car Mysteries Solved: Low Octane Fuel at High Altitudes - Popular Mechanics

Follow us: @PopMech on Twitter | popularmechanics on Facebook

Visit us at PopularMechanics.com"

• 1 month later...

I was at Miller Motorsports Park this past weekend (8/10/13). This is what their pumps displayed:

Diesel $4.15/per gal

85 octane unleaded $4.10/per gal

91 octane unleaded $4.32/per gal

98 octane unleaded $9.21/per gal (Sunoco)

100 octane unleaded $9.16/per gal

110 octane leaded race fuel $9.26/per gal

Between the higher altitude and spending some time on the dyno, running 91 should be little to no disadvantage.