taking passengers to get them interested, must be member?

rithsleeper

I have two friends who have sports cars and they want to get into track days and I keep asking them to just sign up and come out to a hpde 1. Problem is they are not 100% sure about if their car is good enough even though I tell them it doesn't matter just come out and learn. I think if I could invite them out and take them for a ride they would be hooked. Its how I got hooked with a ride along in scca.

However nasa has haulted this from being possible. I understand they have to be covered by theinsurance but making my buddy pay $45 for a year membership isn't really a good way to get him out there. "Hey want to pay $45 and come ride around a track for 15 min in my car?!". The other thing is my dad has been coming to watch me race in scca and drive in nasa events for the past 4years but has only been allowed to go out with me once and that was with another organization.

I am certified as an instructor through nasa se so I am allowed to have passengers. Is there just no way to give a ride to a person thinking about gettingn into it? I'm open to buying my dad a $45 year membership but I can't afford everyone else. Isnt there someway to get them clearance to get a ride along and not have a full membership?

does Southeast do any "Hyperdrive" sessions?

That was all it took for me to hook a buddy of mine. ~$50ish Hyperdrive session in his own car, 1 session of HPDE1 with an instructor. No membership required iirc.

That's a good idea they do sometimes, it does however cost $75 plus the gas to get from Columbia to Road ATL (which is where all the events will be during the summer). However it wouldn't solve say if someone doesn't want to drive their car because they have an unrealist view on how they have seen racing on tv. This one guy has this idea that his car could wreck at 200mph and disintegrate and there are other rediculous race cars on track becaus he has seen some of my hpde3/4 videos along with actual race videos. There is no frame of reference.

SCCA has weekend memberships for $10, if only nasa did something like that, it would be great. Like an observational membership along with entry to the track to get a ride along. Even if it was $25 I think that wouldn't be too bad since they would pay $10 to get into the track to begin with.

In AZ you do not have to be a NASA member to spectate an event nor to get a ride-along. We just require an additional waiver be signed prior to the ride-along as well as said driver having permission from DE3/DE4 Group Leader for the ride-along.

That's a good idea they do sometimes, it does however cost $75 plus the gas to get from Columbia to Road ATL (which is where all the events will be during the summer).

If a hyperdrive and gas to/fro is going to blow his budget, he needs to go find another potential hobby

Hauling passengers is a great way to get people involved. I should be on GM's payroll for selling Corvettes

Its not more about breaking the bank but to someone whonis hesitant to come already without knowing what to expect, dishing out $100+ for one session on the track (with getting to the track) is a way to scare them financially. It is expensive but I can find the money once I know its worth it. I can't believe there isn't a waiver they can't sign, but when I inquire I keep getting the same response, "they have to be a member of nasa". I think if I only get one person to come to a de weekend out of every 5 I give ride alongs, that's worth it. I realize its a liability issue (or so they say) so why not get that "trial" membership for 1 weekend.

• Members

A NASA Membership lasts a whole year, if they only want rides then they can come back many times during the year with their $45 membership fee. Becoming a NASA member also gets them in the gate free at all of the SE events for a year (except the Santa's Toy Run).

If someone has trouble paying for a HyperDrive or HPDE then they can sign up to work two (2) weekends and drive for free:

http://www.nasa-se.com/workers.php

We also have a 1st timers promotion that has been ongoing for years - we'll give them a promotion code for $100 off their 1st HPDE weekend. If they drive in a HyperDrive we'll give them the cost of the HyperDrive + $100 off their first HPDE 1 weekend. All they have to do is contact us via email and we'll give them the code.

There are many inexpensive options for someone to get out on track, as a driver and a rider.