Tire softener

Beach Cruiser

I have a really nice pair of Hoosier A6's, but they are at least 3 years old. They have good rubber, and I was wondering if I should run them as is, or try and soak them with some tire softener compound? I'm running HPDE3 for 20 min sessions, so I shouldn't have any legality issues. What brand/mixture should I use?

According to Hoosier, they are only recommended to be used for 2 years.

I would not take them on the track. If you disregard this please be sure to at least examine the tires very closely for cracks or splits. I acquired a set of brand new/4yr old r6's a while back and they had some hairline cracking in them. I tossed them.

If its me, I would soak them and use them for autocross only. I dont think Tire soaking is legal in NASA

If you do decide they are worthy of soaking for autocross there is no need to buy some pricy stuff. You can make it yourself with 50/50 ATF and lacquer thinner. Soak them, then seal them in trash bags and leave them in the sun all day... Worked ofr me back in my stock car days.

2 year recommendation sells some tires tires, especially when you get a set shipped out to you that's already close to a year old. Next they'll tell you if you want to be super competitive you need a new set every session

Depends on how they're stored - 2 years out in the dry AZ sun... duh. Climate controlled in black bags - much different. Obviously if there are structural issues apparent with them, or they just plain feel weird or whatever, then it'd probably be wise to not run them. Otherwise they're black and round and probably hold air which is perfect for HPDE.