Question about race starts

King Matt

What is the NASA regulation regarding passing cars in the middle of a pack before you have crossed the start/finish line as long as the green has been shown and the lead cars are across the start/finish line? Is it correct to assume that the race has begun once the first car crosses the line under green? I found nothing in the CCR that specifically addresses the question. The only reference to jumping the start defines it as moving out of position before the green with no mention of car position relative to the start/finish line.

Matt-

If you look at CCR 20.10, you'll see there is no requirement for the lead car to pass the start/finish to begin racing. When the green flies, the track is hot and it's game on.

Now, with that said there is room for adjustment in CCR 20.5 if the Race Director feels that a clusterfargus is imminent if people begin passing before the line or into the first turn. I have been in classes where we've had "gentlemen's agreements" to not pass until we've reached Point X and it's worked fine, so most of this depends on the racers not being boneheads in a manner similar to the BRIC debacle last weekend. I know when I have the chair and I believe that premature acceleration will cause a problem, I make adjustments on how the start will happen. This is why it is *vital* to attend drivers meetings and why we are harsh on those that miss them.

Does that help?

-JWL

Thanks, Johh, that does help. The BRIC debacle is what got me wondering about the starting procedure in the first place.