WRECK OF ALL WRECKS

dick elliott

not to be mean, but the first picture is kind of hilarious at first, but after lookin' at the rest of the pictures on the site... it ain't no laughin' matter WOW! and OUCH! that looks hella scary! i hope everyone gets back to shape...

Assuming everyone was all right in the end, that's still a tragic loss of a lot of fine vintage race cars. No doubt every one had a great history.

I read the story about how that happened. I guess the pace car left the track early and the front runners started getting out of hand. Apparently there was passing going on before the green flag dropped. I never realized these Vintage guys were so agressive.

• 1 month later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told a little bit different story...

It's my understanding that the cars were noticably separated into two groups (unintentionally) as they headed up the hill for the green flag. The lead pack slowed up expecting not to get a start and the slower pack nailed the gas as they crested the hill thinking that the green was waiving... (or something to this effect)

Lots of heavy cars going fast running into lots of cars going slow!

Notice pretty much all of the carnage is before the flag stand!

Also, if you check the requirements for obtaining a Vintage liscence, they're not too strict (i.e. x-amount of schools and experience). It's much easier to get a Vintage liscence than a regular Comp Lisc.

Check the latest Car & Driver, there's a small write-up on the accident. According to the story, someone tried to squeeze between another car and the wall at the start and didn't make it. Accordion effect did the rest.

what a crime. I have seen these pics in several forums now. I didnt knwo what to expect when i opened this thread. Every time I see these pics I cringe. What a terrible shame. All because a couple guys just had to get the jump. I wonder if any fists were thrown.

• 3 months later...

It IS racing, after all. stuff happens. It's a shame that it took out so many nice cars but like an old-timer once told me"If you're worried about breaking it, don't put it on the track".

• 5 months later...

wow that looked tragic,

+1 on not putting it on the track if your worried about breaking it, makes me wish I had more cars

If you look past the carnage, you see all the safety, fire, and medical crews on the spot. Could you imagine if that happened on a public freeway with standard passenger cars? As it looks from the photos only 2 drivers where taken for medical concerns.

I think it really reinforces both the dangerous side of racing, but also the safety side of it to.

Congrats to the safety/fire/medical crews that take care of the mess when the cheese hits the fan.

• 4 months later...

I was there the day before it happened as a spectator. That is just crying-ass shame. But boy did those cars look and sound awesome the saturday before!