Transponder Install

dsc off

Aside from wheel wells, are there any other golf spots to install them? I'm somewhat hesitant to install by wheel well because of the heat generated from the brakes. The user manual says it shouldn't be installed anywhere where temps could exceed 122F/50°C.

I've seen most installed behind the front bumper, usually around the front crash beam. Whether or not you have a rechargeable one makes a big difference though. With a direct power, you can really afford to tuck it away and hide it. For a rechargeable one though, I think I would just pick a temporary spot inside the front bumper grille and use zip ties.

The manual should also mention something about having a clear sight to the ground, although I wouldn't take that advice literally. You'll get feedback after your first timed session if you have a low signal from it not being close/clear enough to the ground.

Mount it anywhere that is convenient to you...front, back, side; location on the car doesn't matter for TT like it could in W2W.

Don't mount it somewhere that is difficult to access; you should be able to easily verify the number on the side or check the green light to make sure it's working. If it is buried, then write down the number and keep it somewhere safe (with your logbook, etc.).

Wired vs rechargeable and temporary vs permanent will affect how/where you mount it.

If you need to wire it to a 12V source, then you might want to keep it near the battery for ease of wiring. Or, get a wiring diagram or a multimeter to find a 12V switched source near your chosen mounting location that you can tap.

Various methods that I have used or seen, in no particular order:

1. Duct tape it to the fender (I have done this in a last-minute pinch). You could duct tape it to a magnetic sheet for temporary use.

2. Make a rear license plate mounting bracket, especially if your battery is back there (but not if it is 2" from the exhaust, duh)

3. Zip-tie to front grill honeycomb

4. Zip-tie to tow hook

5. Zip-tie to receiver hitch

6. I welded a couple of 5mm screws to an existing underhood bracket near the battery and use locknuts to secure it, for permanent installation.

Mark