Weight jackers through frame - rule infringement?

Jeremymoen

Hey all,

I have weight jackers installed through the rear frame rails on my third gen Camaro. I believe this was done back in it's SCCA A Sedan days.

I understand the rule says that the frame rails may not be modified for this purpose. It seems the intent of this rule is to keep from having modifications that may affect the safety of the vehicle, or also make it more difficult to keep the playing field even / keep "costs" down?.

If I can accomplish the same thing using adjusters on the bottom, does it really matter if they go through the frame to the top side? You can see the left side one in this picture (at the right, just above the rear cage bar). I guess I'd argue the result is the same with the difference of the hole. Is there a perceived advantage with the adjuster through the frame?

If this is non-negotiable, what's the best option to get legal again without a lot of fab work and money spent?

IMG_0862.JPG

The threaded part is welded to the bottom of the frame, and there's just a simple hole in the top.

Jeremy. Unfortunately weight jackers thru the frame are not legal. I'm not sure what your best option to fix this is but if you remove the jacker and weld up the frame hole and grind it smooth you'll be legal again.

• 2 weeks later...

Do the holes have to be welded shut or can they be covered with sheet metal that is riveted in or put a bolt though the hold to plug it up? I plan on doing races in two series next year. One requires me to run springs in the stock location on the rear hence the weight jackers and over here I can run coil overs.

8554643191_fc6c1fd35f_b.jpg

If your talking about the holes in the floor, those can be covered with sheet metal and rivets or anything similar. The frame is a different issue I guess.

I am going to use the existing weight jack (1" OD) threaded rod as the "static' piece in the setup. So the rod will be threaded into a nut that is welded to the frame (it's there already), and the spring cup will have a nut added to it. So basically I'll just twist the spring cup to adjust ride height (from under the car) as opposed to having the adjuster through the frame and adjustable from up top.

Really a pretty simple change. I think it will work just fine, but haven't tested it yet.

• 1 month later...

This change is done now. Seems to be fine. I swapped to a stiffer spring that is also 2" shorter than the old, and still found that I basically needed no spacer between the spring cup and frame to get the ride height I needed. So, I ended up with a washer on one side just to set the corner weight, and that's it. I will have the nuts along just in case I need to swap back to a different spring or something. I think that should take care of it. Happy it's over with, and wasn't too difficult (and basically cost nothing).