Can Firewall Pinch weld be removed?

jeffmerkur

Hi Everyone,

I'm building my car and removing the pinch weld at the firewall would help me out. I found this in a old post witch seems to say its ok but I wanted to double check before I cut. Still seemed a little grey to me? Does g. give me the ok?

Thanks for the help.

7.4.4 Examples and clarifications

a) Composite hoods, hatchbacks, trunk lids, front fenders, fender flares, and bumper covers (fiberglass/carbon fiber, etc.) are allowed within the power to weight ratio constraints of the American Iron Class. Fenders must resemble OEM parts but are free as to venting, louvers, and other modifications.

b) The sheetmetal between the front shock tower and firewall must remain in tact, but may be modified to accommodate allowed components such as the cage extending to the front shock tower and plumbing. Forward of the front shock tower, the sheetmetal and upper structure may be removed or modified, but the frame rails must remain in tact per section 7.3. The “shotgun rails” on mustangs can be modified at the shock tower location, but must remain in tact between the shock tower and the firewall and cowl.

c) AIX cars are unrestricted in all body panel material and modification. AIX cars are allowed to remove rear inner fender metal structures to facilitate tire fitment (“minitub”), but an alternative structure must be put in place to cover the tire and seal the tub assembly.

d) All interior component modifications (including removal of the dashboard and wiring) are allowed provided that the modifications do not conflict with any other rules contained herein or the NASA CCR.

e) Unless otherwise prohibited herein, the interior sheetmetal can be removed as long as the body panels outside surfaces remain in tact. The rear wheel tub must remain in tact for AI cars, but may be modified or replaced for AIX cars.

f) Cars must have neat and clean appearances. All panels must fit properly and be free of sharp edges. All panels must be painted. No vehicle will be able to compete in more than one event with obvious body damage or unpainted body panels.

g) All pinch weld areas may be trimmed and cleaned up.

h) Lexan or polycarbonate material may replace windshield (3/16” min thickness for windshield), rear glass and side windows provided it is installed in accordance with the NASA CCR. Center bracing must be installed in the inside to support the windshield if Lexan is installed. Lexan or other material windows are not allowed on either the driver or passenger front doors but are allowed in all other positions.

i) All holes in floors and firewalls must be sealed according to NASA CCR.

j) Hood and rear deck pins are recommended to secure the hood, trunk lid, or hatchback.

What part of the pinchweld do you want to remove and why?

We aren't here to make your life easier. We are here to make racing safe and fun.

Just the part above the engine. With the engine up close to the fire wall it makes it hard to get the valve cover on and off.

I'm still using a MM shock tower brace that uses part of the pinch weld. So I don't want to remove all of it.

OK, I get it and I really appreciate the safe and fun part. That's why I asked.

We just had a discussion about this and I'm pretty sure the result was NO modifications allowed to the firewall for engine/valve cover clearance.

Send an email to your regional director to confirm. Contact info is in the rules.

Where did you get that 7.4.4 stuff from? I just looked thru the current rule book and see no rule regarding pinch welds as you listed it. If there is no pinchweld rule you fall back to the firewall rule which states to mods. So no go on the pinch welds.

Ok then just viewed that thread. So this was a thread discussing rules/changes back in 2010, not the current rulebook. The section you copied and pasted was simply a suggestion by a person, not an actual rule in a rulebook. The rules we all need to comply with are in the current rulebooks posted on the nasa site, not stuff we find on forums unless its a tech bulletin issued by a nasa official.

So again moding the firewall pinch weld is a no go. Hope that helps..