need help finding a class for miata

matthewAPM

Hello everyone,

I have a Mazda Miata I have been tracking for some time and running Global Time Attack in. I am now looking to run NASA TT but not sure where to go. I went through the classification form and think I'm adding points incorrectly. Below I have listed my modifications. If someone can tell me what class I fall in, that would be great.

1990 Mazda Miata

ENGINE:

1.8 motor (?? HP)

Header

Intake

Exhaust

Cat removed

TRANS/DIFF:

Stock transmission

1.6 flywheel

VLSD

SUSPENSION/CHASSIS:

Koni yellow (single adj)

Ground Control sleeves/springs

Racing Beat front bar

Rear bar removed

Frame rail braces

All poly bushings including diff mounts

Delrin motor mounts

BRAKES:

1.8 brakes

Race pads

WHEEL/TIRE:

TR Motorsport 15x9

225/45-15 Hankook RS-3

INTERIOR/WEIGHT:

Cage w. NASCAR bars

Race seat/ stock passenger

MOMO wheel

NO A/C or P/S

AERO:

ABS air dam

Front splitter

Side diffuser (non functional)

APR GT200 with riser (can remove)

Half rear bumper

Thanks everyone!

My suggestion is that you go through the classification forms, and look at each modification item. Ask yourself: Does my car have this modification? If "yes," then add the points. If "no," then move to the next one. Note that there is no "maybe" or "well, sorta." Despite what some people will say, we have tried to keep these forms as simple as possible, and they are pretty straightforward. Note that a fairly detailed mechanical knowledge of your car is required, especially if you bought it already modified.

Alternatively, contact your regional TT director and/or somebody in your region who runs a Miata in TT. If I am your regional TT director, then please see my suggestion above.

Remember:

cut = modify

remove = modify

BTM = base trim model

Mark

If you want to class is at a 90 you will have to dyno reclass because that engine was not born in that chassis. However since you have 1.8 brakes you can points class it as a 94 . You will want to remove the frame rail bracing and side diffusers. neither are worth the points.

Your best bet is probably to dyno reclass it as a 94 other wise take points for the 1.8 brakes (+2). remove splitter, side diffusers, rear wing (not necessary at near stock power levels)

Whatever base class you get you will need to add +10 for suspension and +1 if you decide to keep your cut rear bumper.

The rs3's are a 3 point tire and frankly prob wont be competitive in any scenario. Get some sm6's and figure out a way to stay in TTE

If you want to class is at a 90 you will have to dyno reclass because that engine was not born in that chassis. However since you have 1.8 brakes you can points class it as a 94 . You will want to remove the frame rail bracing and side diffusers. neither are worth the points.

Your best bet is probably to dyno reclass it as a 94 other wise take points for the 1.8 brakes (+2). remove splitter, side diffusers, rear wing (not necessary at near stock power levels)

Whatever base class you get you will need to add +10 for suspension and +1 if you decide to keep your cut rear bumper.

The rs3's are a 3 point tire and frankly prob wont be competitive in any scenario. Get some sm6's and figure out a way to stay in TTE

Thank you for the info and help!I guess my question is with the rs3's with current setup, am I still TTE legal or TTD?

if you're not going to add up all your points, just put TTU on the car and run there Otherwise start with the '94 Miata base class and get to adding.

Eyeball test / math of the top of my head comes up with a few points into TTD but that's unofficial and all that.

Is there / are there mods you're confused on?

Edited by Guest

If you have a swap you HAVE to dyno reclass per TT rules. Therefore, without knowing whp and weight, we don't know what your new assigned base class is.

(I don't know if Greg allows a 1.6 Miata chassis with a 1.8 Miata engine to be considered like it was originally a 1.8 Miata if you do the other mods that would bring it up-to-date/on-par with a 1.8 Miata)

(I only see this:

Mazda Miata (’90-’97):

Replacement of the OEM/BTM '90-'93, '95 (with VIN's higher than 14193), '96-'97, and '99-'00 Mazda

Miata ECU 4.0MHz "clock" crystal, and the OEM/BTM '94 and '95 (with VIN's lower than 14193)

Mazda Miata ECU 8.0MHz "clock" crystal with an aftermarket crystal of different frequency, sometimes

referred to as "overclocking" of the ECU, is permitted as a no-points modification.)

Edited by Guest

My issue isn't adding. I have just seen Miata's with similar setups in TTE minus the wing. I am slightly confused about the tire rules. How many pts. for the kooks? The rest I understand better now. Sorry for all the questions.

• National Staff

'90 Miata with a 1.8L requires Dyno re-classing, period.

We have gone away from classing '90's as '94's, etc. for most car models, as it gets very confusing.

There are still re-classes out there like this, but they are, in general, being cycled through when the

new re-class is required.

Tires are done two ways - width points and compound points

Compound is always going to be the same no matter your base class. RS3s are specifically called out under A6 as an example of the 120-200 treadwear category at +2 pts

Width points are going to vary depending on the BASE (not competition, base!) class of your car.

A TTF base classed car takes points for the difference between their widest tire and 215mm width.

A TTE base classed car takes points for the difference between their widest tire and 235mm width.

So the same 225 width tire can be on a TTF base class car and cost +1pt for width, and be on a TTE base class car and give that car back 1 pt to spend elsewhere (or drop down a class if possible / depending).

Hope that helps! That is one of the more common mistakes I see on class forms so don't feel bad about asking for clarification on it.

My issue isn't adding. I have just seen Miata's with similar setups in TTE minus the wing. I am slightly confused about the tire rules. How many pts. for the kooks? The rest I understand better now. Sorry for all the questions.

Tire points is easy once you understand it.

If your car is assigned a TTE/TTE*/TTE** base class, your base tire size is 235. Therefore, you would get 1 point back (-1) because of the actual tire size (225) but you would take 2 points (+2) because of the tire compound. THEREFORE, they cost you 1 total point (+1).

If your car is assigned a TTD/TTD*/TTD** base class, your base tire size is 245. Therefore, you would get 4 points back (-4) because of the actual tire size (225) but you would take 2 points (+2) because of the tire compound. THEREFORE, you get back 2 total points (-2).

Edited by Guest

If you ran it how it sits right now. Based on what you are telling us, you would want to class it as a 94. So your base class would be TTE. And you would have 33 points. So you would be in TTD with 6 points to spare. Unfortunately this setup would not be competitive. If you are taking points for something you need to make them count. IE: if you are taking diff points, you better have an OSgiken or equivelant.

+1 intake

+2 header

+2 exhaust

+1 no cat

+3 lsd

+7 suspension

+3 frame rails

+3airdam

+3splitter

+4 wing

+1 bumper cut

+2 skirts

+1 225rs3s in TTE

=33

• National Staff
If you ran it how it sits right now. Based on what you are telling us, you would want to class it as a 94. So your base class would be TTE. And you would have 33 points. So you would be in TTD with 6 points to spare. Unfortunately this setup would not be competitive. If you are taking points for something you need to make them count. IE: if you are taking diff points, you better have an OSgiken or equivelant.

+1 intake

+2 header

+2 exhaust

+1 no cat

+3 lsd

+7 suspension

+3 frame rails

+3airdam

+3splitter

+4 wing

+1 bumper cut

+2 skirts

+1 225rs3s in TTE

=33

WRONG, it cannot be "classed" as a '94. As I posted, it requires a Dyno reclass, period. Thanks. Lets stop giving out misinformation here folks.

Oops. my bad. I thought this was acceptable because I know of several others who have updated or backdated their miatas to be classed as different year or model. One of them won a national championship...