Spec Iron building cost

UKRBMW

Hi,

I've been reading all day through all the various threads on here and in the beginning it seemed the thought was it would take about 20-25k to build a car. Now that a good number has been built, what is the consensus on an approximate cost? I see the car for sale in classifieds for 39k and it makes me think that actual numbers are substantially higher. I'm pretty excited about a V8 based spec series (ran Spec E30 and currently have an SM) just trying to gauge what it really takes to build a car.

Thanks,

Alex

I think it depends mainly on what the car costs first.If you can find a good car for under 10 then 20 to 25 is probably about right.I will be between 32 and 35 when complete,buts that's doing a lot of work myself.I figure I saved 30 cause I was going to build a new AI car until this class was announced.

Alex,

After building two Spec Iron cars and starting on the third I can tell you the exact cost of the build is 25-30K. That price includes all spec parts, custom roll cage and 100 hrs of labor. The biggest factor in the over all cost of the Spec Iron build is the price of the donor car. These cars can easily vary from $7500-$12,000. Finding suitable donor cars without crash damage for less than $7500 has been difficult.

The build cost includes EVERYTHING it really takes to build a complete Spec Iron car. You may be able to repurpose some of your current safety items and save a few dollars.

Please feel free to contact me for specific build information.

Side note, illicit Motorsports is currently in the process of building a Spec Iron rental car for the 2014 season.

Jason

With a $14k GT to start, no parts on hand, and a getting a couple sets of rims you'll be into it for a minimum of $38k. Buy some good parts, data logger, high end seat and it will be $40-42k.

Don

This is an estimate by someone I know. Some of these are low, but you get the jist. I think 25- 30k will get you there with some spares, assuming you supply the labor. Things are more expensive in CA apparently; but you can spend as much as you want.

BODY

2005 Mustang GT 10,000.00

Sell Interior -1,000.00

Paint & Body work

Ducts and tubing 70.00

Wiring kit 60.00

Tow Straps and window tabs 0.00

Decal Numbers 60.00

Subtotal 9,190.00

BRAKES

Brake Kit -M2300-S 1,489.00

ABS Module - M2353-A 375.00

Subtotal 1,864.00

CHASSIS & SUSPENSION

Differential M-4204-T31H 795.00

Rear Gear M-4209-99373 209.00

Diff Cover M-4033-K 159.00

Wheel Studs 57.00

Shock/Spring Kit 1,500.00

Camber plates M-18183-B 389.00

Bump Steer Kit M-3130-R4 239.00

Bushing Fr M-5638-B 43.95

Bushing Up M-5638-R 30.00

Ball Joints

Rear Control Arm M-5650 175.00

Sway Bars M-5490-A 460.00

Hawk Pads 250.00

Stainless Steel Brake Lines 100.00

Brake Proportioning Valve 85.00

Panhard Bar M-4264-a 279.00

Polyurethane Bushings

A-Arm Brace M-5025-A 60.00

Strut Tower Brace M-202201-S197 209.00

Subtotal 5,039.95

WHEELS & TIRES

Wheels 18x9

RA1 235/40/17 1000

Subtotal 1,000.00

ENGINE & TRANSMISSION

GT500 6 Speed

Cold Air Intake - M-9603-M463 345.00

Intake Elbow

Spark plugs and heaterhose plugs, air filter 40

Fuel line

AC Delete Pulley M-19216-D46 55.95

Alternator Underdrive Pulley 45.00

Belt 25.00

Spark Plug Wires 75.00

Battery and trunk mount kit 90.00

Exhaust Y Pipe 200.00

Exhaust & Muffler 100.00

Radiator

Power steering hose 0.00

Subtotal 975.95

SAFETY EQUIPMENT & GAUGES

Roll Cage 2,000.00

Tow Hooks M-17954 110.00

Window net 25.00

Window net install kit 25.00

Harness 150.00

Racing Seat 500.00

Seat Mounts 50.00

ATL Fuel Cell (optional)

wink mirror 40.00

transponder 250.00

roll bar padding 20.00

Autometer Gauges

Hood Pin Kit 10.00

Electrical Cut Off Switch 35.00

Right side restraint

Fire Bottle 48.00

Subtotal 3,263.00

Labor

Grand Total 19,468.90

Below is a list . it's not perfect but it's close.

I've built a couple of these so take it for what it's worth.

If your doing it all yourself and find a car for under 10k . which will probably be a 100k plus 05 gt then you may get it done for around 20k with the very very basics to get on track .chances are you will get ran over by others in the class as well at that price point.

These cars have lost tons of parts value as of recent so don't think your going to make big money back on interior and air bags etc etc

2010 gt mustangs sell for 15k to 22k depending on condition and miles. Start with a low miles 2010 gt and have it built with decent extras your going to be 40k plus. just the basics same car doing it yourself mid to high 30's

Dean martin has a 2010gt ready to race that could be bought for low 30's that needs a few things. He also has a 2010 gt that has a few parts on it for high teens that needs finished.

I have a 2010 gt with low miles that is ready to race with a aim mxl with gps, racetech seat, fire system, cool suit and a few extras for 36k the extras on this car is about 6k over basics needed to race that I have installed.

just keep in mind if your building it yourself what is your time worth and your going to forget thousands of small stuff. I gurantee it

better idea of a parts list

[*]spec shocks with springs $2500 plus shipping

[*]rear shock eyelets and bolts $125

[*]caster plates $350

[*]sway bar package $450

[*]end link kit for sway bar $225

[*]front brake kit $1,500

[*]pads front and rear $500

[*]rear brake lines $125

[*]brake fluid $75

[*]gt500 brake booster $165

[*]abs hcu and fr abs module $875

[*]front brake cooling kit $300

[*]wheels $800

[*]spec rr tires shipped and installed $1,450

[*]wheel studs , lug nut and wheel spacers to get proper track $350

[*]front a arms with bushings $700

[*]driveshaft loop $150

[*]exhaust h or x plus aftermarket mufflers $550

[*]transponder $500

[*]diff cover , fluid, t2r and gear , fresh bearings, installed and catch can $1,500

[*]lower control arms, upper bushing for 3rd link, control arm rlb $650

[*] fr aluminum radiator $750

[*]oil pan, oil and filter $350

[*]wiring ,kill switch and misc toggle switches $350

[*]fire system $450

[*]seat , mounts and sliders $750

[*]seat belt bolts and clips $250

[*]window net and install kit $80

[*]steering wheel ,adapter and wheel release $650

[*] for racing pro cal and cai kit $600

[*]dyno $125

[*] shifter and new clutch. $700

I just spent about 21k for you. you got the basics of what is needed. I can probably add another $3,500 with no problem.

You still need a car and a cage plus doing it all yourself.

Well, I'm not a guy who would build one in his garage so there is bound to be some labor costs.

I appreciate all the input. Curious to see how this class progresses. Really wish Toyo wasn't the spec tire - maybe BFG. Need to keep an eye on used mustang market now.

2 questions- oil pan? i've been meaning to ask about this, when shaking down my car on track but on street tires, reviewing the video, my 20psi oil warning light flickered on for just the slightest instant in a right hander..

i have an AIM SOLO DL, and the datalogger reported engine temp at 210 and holding steady after a few laps. do you feel that the upgraded radiator required?

2 questions- oil pan? i've been meaning to ask about this, when shaking down my car on track but on street tires, reviewing the video, my 20psi oil warning light flickered on for just the slightest instant in a right hander..

i have an AIM SOLO DL, and the datalogger reported engine temp at 210 and holding steady after a few laps. do you feel that the upgraded radiator required?

1st question.

not uncommon at all. Honestly a aftermarket oil pan really isin't even needed . The fr500s car which had lots of testing before production runs a stock oil pan. The fr500s aim low oil pressure warning llight is set at 15 psi. mine flickers now and then through sweeping turns or heavy braking zones. that is even with a canton pan and little extra oil.

2nd question.

I have seen 230 plus in my car with a aluminum radiator on a hot day . warning light is 240 through can data on the aim. same as fr500s cars .we ran watkins gln this past weekend both nice cool days. never went over 200

so in theory the over $1,000 dollars in those 2 items alone could be elimanted from a basic build to help keep build costs down

Poe has his numbers right

except he only included one set of wheels and tires

You will spend 25-30k on parts and cage and interior paint pretty easy.

Don't expect much for the interior (resell)

I spent 6000 on my cage and interior paint alone and I did a lot of it myself.

So you could save a little bit there.

I budgeted 30k and blew my budget big time and I still have 5000 dollars worth of data acquisition and exterior paint on my wish list that I will buy when the proverbial dust settles.

You could probably build a decent car for 25k if you are willing to have a salvage title or wrecked starter car and skimp on some of the parts. I would recommend a budget closer to at least 35k and 40k if you want spares, beauty and data acquisition.

On a brighter note, sponsors are much more willing to talk to you with a beautiful S197 racecar and the contingency will pay your weekend expenses if you can run up front. This will be the class everyone wants to run in the next couple years. I haven't heard more excitement surrounding a new class in my life. Many Spec Miata guys that have 30-40k dollar Miatas are starting to crave the V8 action

I also built my cage to be an American Iron cage, so if I added horsepower and aero , I could have a nationally competitive AI car for under 50k.

That is a pretty cheap build if you consider what a great chassis you are working with. I had 25k in my old CMC Fox and 35k in a fox open track car before that.

The foxes sucked. =)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I think I'm going to get in for about $30k including the car. I'm not going to run the HVT kit so that saved me $2.5K. I also am bringing across a few things from my old car like seat, harness, etc which saved a little bit. Donor car had a clean title and not really all that many miles on it. It did have a tranny whine that we're fixing.

Work is being done by Jason Massey at Illicit Motorsports who is a stand up guy who does great work. www.illicitmotorsports.com

Curious how many races I'll get out of a $1300 set of tires. On a 3500 pound car.

I think I'm going to get in for about $30k including the car. I'm not going to run the HVT kit so that saved me $2.5K. I also am bringing across a few things from my old car like seat, harness, etc which saved a little bit. Donor car had a clean title and not really all that many miles on it. It did have a tranny whine that we're fixing.

Work is being done by Jason Massey at Illicit Motorsports who is a stand up guy who does great work. http://www.illicitmotorsports.com

Curious how many races I'll get out of a $1300 set of tires. On a 3500 pound car.

not putting those shocks on your car is the biggest mistake of your build in my opinion. if you have 30k then you have 32.5k if you plan to be at all competitive your going to need them. plan on a new set of tires every weekend for the most if you plan to run up front as well.

Work is being done by Jason Massey at Illicit Motorsports who is a stand up guy who does great work. http://www.illicitmotorsports.com

not putting those shocks on your car is the biggest mistake of your build in my opinion. if you have 30k then you have 32.5k if you plan to be at all competitive your going to need them. plan on a new set of tires every weekend for the most if you plan to run up front as well.

If you are wondering how long your tires will last, whether you plan to battle for first or even mid-pack, then you need to consider what Steve is saying here.

Best way to burn through tires is to under prepare the car - best way to manage tires is to set it up properly. Spend the $2.5k and it will be paid for quickly with less rubber wasted and a lot more fun on track.

I hear you re setup etc.

Will discuss w Illicit. He won't let me go out in an underprepared car, I'm sure of that.

I appreciate everyone's concern for Mike's suspension setup. It is true illicit Motorsports is experimenting with alternate combinations of stock suspension components. This is in an effort to provide a competitive alternative to the current "spec" suspension package.

Then again, everyone said our 4x4 ride height and stock four link CMC car would never work either.

illicit Motorsports wants to build the absolute best race cars for its customers. Anyone with technical data or inside information, please feel free to contact me! If somebody can prove us wrong now, it would save us a lot of test time at the track!

The only way to succeed is to fail. Hopefully, our successes out pace our failures...

Jason

illicit Motorsports

512-940-5359

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, I have a 2010 fully legal SI car with 22k miles on her for sub $30K. Bullet proof reliable. This car was built for the SI rule book, and parts cost, excluding labor exceeded $34K.

PM me if there is any interest, I can provide any additional info and details.

Cheers,

Richard