Type

Proposal for a new rule

Existing rule section (if applicable)

Proposed change

Eliminate AWD cars.

Reason

No avenue for compliance currently.

Proposed new wording

No AWD Cars allowed in any class other than GTSU.

I couldn't be more against this, for obvious reasons.

Me too- I was planning on fielding a Porsche 959 next season.

No. Dyno compliance isn't necessarily getting the job done right now anyway. Don't potentially kick a competitor to GTSU (where typically only peeps w/out a dyno sheet roam- BTDT many 'a times) when they may indeed be legitimately compliant.

Against, but this does need some review.

If a car can't prove it's compliance, it can't be considered legal. If a car is too low for the scales, would we take the drivers word for it as well?

Although extreme, the only way I can imagine AWD working is if you happen to finish in a position that is determined to dyno or protested, but you can't since your AWD - the car will somehow need to be impounded / monitored until a compliance test is possible. If one chooses to race AWD, they need to accept this.

I don't like how the current rule allows retesting at a future date with no measures to stop changes from being made.

I don't think discouraging potential racers is really a good path, a lot of people build what they have and know.

How accurate is TrackMate(or some other gadget) at determining HP/torque? If one was found to be accurate, GTS could just provide one and require it to be installed at each event.

I don't think discouraging potential racers is really a good path, a lot of people build what they have and know.

How accurate is TrackMate(or some other gadget) at determining HP/torque? If one was found to be accurate, GTS could just provide one and require it to be installed at each event.

The Traqmate is something that has been tried a lot but has a number of issues. Among them is it takes pretty specific training to be able to read and interpret the data properly and the analysis process is relatively slow. If we were to use Traqmates or something of the sort, the only reasonable way to do it would be to mandate that everyone put one in their car as it's not data you can gather after the fact.

As far as I know, there is no reasonably-priced, accurate, and easy-enough-to-use device available anywhere, Traqmate or otherwise. If that's not the case, I'd love to hear about it. I know there's a device used in the Pirelli World Challenge series that I've heard is very good, but it's also $2K+ to buy. Each.

Joking aside, I'm against. By banning AWD, you completely eliminate one entire German marque from competition, not that we've seen many of them competing...

I usually propose this every year just to get under Mark S's skin.....

I will say, when a competitive AWD car arrives for good everyone's tune will change.

Also, I don't feel it is fair to have the ability to test and tech one type of car and not another in the same class. Nationals did not have an AWD dyno.

My suggestion is for NASA to create an AWD class.

Im surprised Mark did say...."its not FWD its QUATTRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!" watch out he has the hammer award lol. back to your rule debate thingy...........

oh and I am against this rule. adding a factor yes but disallowing no.

I usually propose this every year just to get under Mark S's skin...

...oh and I am against this rule. adding a factor yes but disallowing no.

Why add a factor? About the only time really makes a difference is in the wet.

There used to be an added factor for AWD cars, and it's not like AWD cars were suddenly dominating when it was removed.

...oh and I am against this rule. adding a factor yes but disallowing no.

Why add a factor? About the only time really makes a difference is in the wet.

There used to be an added factor for AWD cars, and it's not like AWD cars were suddenly dominating when it was removed.

SEE!!!

Ok mark point taken....

Against. I'd love to see some Audis in GTS. Dyno for compliance can be arranged same-day off-site, if necessary. It would just take some forward planning.