Ditch or keep oil cooler, Accusump, etc?

BigKeyserSoze

Most of you know this, but I have a 1990 Mustang American Iron race car with a Boss Ford block. Recently, I had an oil fitting leak, and bad, but luckily I caught it before it pumped all of the oil out and killed the engine. The current system is complex, comes out of a plate adapter where the oil filter used to be, from the pressure side, runs into a remote mount oil filter, then through a cooler, then back through a one way check valve, which tees into an Accusump that sits in the trunk, then returns back to the plate adapter. As you might envision, this is a lot of pipe, fittings, connectors and the like. I'm thinking of taking off all of the add on oil coolers, remote oil filters and Accusump and just screwing on an oil filter. Currently, oil temperatures hover around 270-280 when driven hard, and that is measured on the outlet side of the plate adapter, so that is as hot as it will get. Any thoughts on whether this is a terribly bad idea? I love simplifying things, especially when it comes to oiling systems, fittings and hoses.

Thoughts?

My personal thought is Since you already have it Just clean it up. Go through the system and replace was needs to be replaced. If you didn't already have it that would be another story.

I would definitely keep the accusump, much more likely to loos oil press in a turn or brakes than a fitting breaking. As for the cooler that's a toss up, I don't run one but than again I'm in the NE and you hot florida..

Bear in mind that your oil temps will go up. While you are currently measuring the oil pre-cooler, the oil flows past the cooler afterwards and then through the engine and heats up. If you remove the cooler, the oil fed to the engine will be hotter, and the oil draining back will be even hotter. You can do some google searching to find the calculations, it’s dependent on the capacity of your cooler, the efficiency of the ducting, etc.