And on the 4th day he made water into creme brulee....

Zvoiture

Fired this puppy up this morning--runs like a charm. Little tick that went away with a bit of warmth and oil pressure... a little idle fluctiation that can be worked out. A little bit of steam out the tailpipe.... And I think I must have an oil cooler line crossed up with a water hose somewhere, because my coolant is full of oil!!! We're talking a 20-minute idling/low rev warm-up session in the garage deducts a little over a quart from my pan.

Is this normal Porsche behavior?

steve

Oil/water bad!!! You could double check your lines but most likely you'll need to reseal the oil/water cooler. The device on the passeger side front of the motor. Looks very much like a small oil cooler which it is but also has a water connection. I'm about to reseal mine on my motor so I can tell you how it's done. The seal kit costs about $80 and shouldn't be too difficult to do. This is also where the oil pressure relief valve is and needs to be installed correctly too!

Damn. I thought I had a cracked block/warpedhead/blown head gasket. I was ready to dump the motor. So... this heat exchanger behind the water pump--this is a common failure--the seal thingys? RIGHT ON!!!

AAHH, young Jedi, much have you learned in your journey of the 944 world. Go forth now should you, others you teach. Too large has your wisdom grown to keep to yourself.

By the way, as soon as you have that beast put back together, drag your ass out here and we'll put it back where it belongs. Or are you now just happy spending time with just the motor and not the whole car?

Yoda

Yes, All I have learned from Yoda but not ALL Yoda knows!! I also am new apprentice of another. A darkside may be.

It just so happens I wathed "A New Hope" today with my boys!! Graet movie for the younguns!

Listen well and follow the lead of others and do not be sudduced by the lure of HP!!!

>>>just the motor and not the whole car? <<<

Ah...but I just haven't been talking about the work on the rest of the car. I have it down to about 1600 lbs. How light can these SPEC-thingey's be again?

The other thing is, I know nothing about cars. So I have to start out with a perfectly running motor before I can start fiddling with things. just the way I'm wired.

steve

Eric is Correct. Sounds like bad oil cooler seals.

This is a common failure on these cars with age. Nothing a few parts can't fix.

Now I would hope that it is just the cooler seals. Get to these early since oil in the coolant is a pain, but as you can imagine coolant in the oil is disaster.

Most of the time Headgaskets go they put coolant into the exhaust system. This means you have cooling seeming evaporating or puking out the tail pipe. Typially you also get overheating too.

So probably the oil cooler seals. If you are considering turbo Oil cooler set-up now is the best time as you will be getting into the area. I have run both with and without the turbo oil cooler. I feel it helps longevity, by keeping the oil a bit cooler, but many folks have been fine without them.

PS.. one you pull the oil/water heat exchanger out you will know quite easily if that is the problem. Just look for the mess.

Steve,

To repair the unit is easy. 4 Bolts and the unit comes off. You can order a complete gasket/seal set to rebuild. Make sure you get the interior coilong system out. It should work it's way out as it's just an o-ring holding it in but my had to be gently persuaded. (O.K. it was in there hard but I got it!!) The only problem I see in doing this is it needs an alignment tool so the oil presure releif valve fits right. Other than that it took less than an hour including cleaning the thing!! Of course my engine is out so it was a tad easier.

Eric, glad you mentioned the alignment procedure. That's important.

I just bought a set of factory manuals last night. I'm looking forward to being more ejemacated.

Great Tim. Follow them and as your working on the various motors you'll be in contact with with see the HUGE/SLOPPY mistakes done by others. All I have left to do on my motor is the belts and install the intake and flywhhel/clutch. (about a full days work for me!) There is not one spec of RTV anywhere and all bolts/nuts are torqued properly. I'll have almost 80 hours in my motor but half that time was cleaning stuff and researching in the manual the correct way to do things and then ask Al. I think if I need to do another one I can do it in half the time. It's been more fun than High School Auto Shop. I can't wait to drop it back in my car!!

The sense of pride is great, huh?

John Chambers and I are swapping engines between an 86 and an 84? chassis. Learning more all the time. The clutch bell housings are different between early and late cars! Didn't know that. I just parted out an 84 chassis and learned even more about how the cars are assembled. Got a mountain of spares..........Mine, all mine.

How were the bell housings different? I am pretty certain I have swapped them indescriminately for several years now. My 88 motor is currently mated to an 83 bell housing. Greg F

Glad to have you around Greg! Let's do the 25 at T-Hill!

The 86 engine has an extra sensor right under the flywheel sensors. There's a cut out in the edge of the bell housing to accomodate it. That cutout isn't on the 1984 bell housing so it won't fit.

Well the flywheels on the early cars are different from the late cars.

Not any material way, but the late cars have 3 tabs on the flywheel. The early cars have 1. Turns out the other two tabs on the flywheel are used for diagnostics and not during normal driving. Therefore that port you mentioned being different on the 86 bell housing is for that test port. Swapping bell housing and flywheels are not an issue between early and late cars. Hell I have come to learn the only difference between a 944 Turbo block and the late NA block are the pistons. Everything else is the same and they are interchangeable. I know some rennlisters using NA blocks for turbo motor builds.

My current motor is hodgepodge of 84 parts and 87 parts just as is my "84" 944.

Well, back to the original post, I pulled my heat exchanger and, Imussay: THAT was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen, and I have raised two children and spent some time working in a nursing home.

steve

So I guess you found the source of the mixing!!! Remember to pull the coiling system out of the box, the hard plastic ring goes oppisite the o-ring to maintain a level system, the big black ring goes on the block, use a special lube on the o-rings and metal gasket. Be sure to buy/borrow an alignment tool for the oil presure relief valve. If you get that in slightly skewed you'll either get no pressure or only very high oil presure most likely no presure. Make sure to flush both the oil system and water system a couple times after you fix it though.

Good job and you had to remind me about early kid days!! Dang they were messy back then!!!

You will also need to change the coolant often for bit. It takes little while for all the oil to come out of the coolant passages.