What would be best?

WildMan

Hey guys! I'm looking for my first race car! I'm trying to decide which civic platform would be the best to run the Honda Challenge with. I'm looking at the 92-95 and 96-98 hatchbacks. Thanks for your input

Yeah I was kind of leaning towards that. Where the heck do I start after getting the car? Which class is best for someone with 0 track experience?

It's a very narrow and minor reason but: http://www.georgebelton.com/6g.civic.tech/asr.itr/asr.itr.008.jpg

EK rear subframes are trash plus 92-95 are already (obviously) OBD1.

My vote would actually be 94-01 Integra but I might be a tad biased.

Concerning the EK subframe - if you're going to install a large rear sway bar (like 24mm ASR), then you'll probably be installing their subframe brace, so wouldn't that take care of that issue? - Jim

It's a very narrow and minor reason but: http://www.georgebelton.com/6g.civic.tech/asr.itr/asr.itr.008.jpg

EK rear subframes are trash plus 92-95 are already (obviously) OBD1.

Concerning the EK subframe - if you're going to install a large rear sway bar (like 24mm ASR), then you'll probably be installing their subframe brace, so wouldn't that take care of that issue? - Jim

It does but IMO it's like the difference between a bolt-in roll cage and a weld-in roll cage. Both do the job but one is inherently better.

I like the Integra, but it just seems weird to drive one on a track. Maybe on a drag strip. Plus I'd be spending a lot of money on Mugen parts!

do DE in a street car, and when you get ready to get close to racing buy an already built race car for pennies on the dollar of what it costs to build from scratch

do DE in a street car, and when you get ready to get close to racing buy an already built race car for pennies on the dollar of what it costs to build from scratch

I'd rather not do that. I'd have to pull the cage, seat, and steering wheel out just to fit my 6'7 frame in it. I just want to race in a near stock class. All I'll be adding is a roll cage, seat, b18b, header, exhaust, some new wheels, and some coilovers.

That's all fine, but what we're saying is, you have to go through the HPDE process with in-car instructors and classroom and check rides and soforth before you get approved for competition licensing school, and you don't absolutely have to have a racecar for all that. You can start with whatever you like best (as long as it passes HPDE tech) and build it along the way