TTB Points Conundrum

R13

So, looking towards the off-season. I've more or less established where I fall in the TTB field this year, and I've got some work to do.

The good news: From where the car sits now, I have 10 points to play with (before any dyno reclass, assuming that would net me anything)

The Question: What do I do with them?

A minimum of 5 of those points will go towards stickier tires (NT01 or R888 so I can still drive to/from events on them since I don't trailer.....yes, I know....no, I'm not going to buy a tow vehicle, trailer, and A6s ).

So, with the remaining 5 points, I could (within the scope of things I'm willing to do to the car/have a budget for):

• Increase the WIDTH of the better tires by 20mm (275 vs 255 in the rear with a 235 up front), and take ~20lbs out of the car
    OR
  • Leave the tire width as-is (255R 215F) and drop ~60lbs out of the car

I know tires are king, but I also know that the rotating mass and gearing change from a 275 rear isn't necessarily a benefit in the scheme of things vs. a 255 for my sometimes-torque-challenged car. Chucking weight out will mean the skinnier tires (and brakes and engine) will have less mass to contend with all around.

Opinions on where I'll get the most figurative mileage there?

with the reclass you're going to get locked into a weight

Right, assuming I decided to pursue the dyno reclass vs. just eating the points for the current power mods and taking points for additional weight reduction.....which is probably another question on it's own. I'm sitting at a PWR of 11.35 right now. base class for my car is TTC**

I would vote keep sizing the same for now and just up to a better compound and ditch some weight. Pretty simple and should net solid results.

I'd been leaning that way, but wanted to validate. The tires would be cheaper, and at least a portion of the weight would come off the very nose and tail of the car. I just didn't want to shoot myself in the foot if there was some common knowledge to the contrary.

Better tires..

Absolutely.

A minimum of 5 of those points will go towards stickier tires (NT01 or R888 so I can still drive to/from events on them since I don't trailer.....yes, I know....no, I'm not going to buy a tow vehicle, trailer, and A6s ).

Yeah, on top of that part.

Question is between 20mm in extra width for the better tires OR 60lbs off the car. (skinny better tires, and lose weight, OR wider better tires, but no weight loss)

Better tires..

Absolutely.

Yeah, on top of that part.

Question is between 20mm in extra width for the better tires OR 60lbs off the car. (skinny better tires, and lose weight, OR wider better tires, but no weight loss)

I am a wider tire guy...other opinions may vary.

Add a hitch and tow a tire trailer.

I'd looked at that, but there really is not a good way to add a hitch to these things. I'm not actually aware of a single instance where someone's done it, and there are at least several in the community who track/autocross them.