Air bags on HPDE cars

brooksv3

I have started looking for a used vehicle to use in HPDE. I have seen cars for sale restored from salvage titles that do not have air bags. What is the policy with air bags?

It doesn't matter to NASA whether a HPDE car has airbags or not. Although your assigned instructors will probably want your car to have 'em

Personally I kept the airbags in my HPDE/TT project... just in case.

What was the final word on airbags vs helmeted occupants study?

Alot of people do remove them, and I don't know that I would personally seek some out just to have to pull them back out later when racing said salvaged car...

and I've not personally seen an instructor refuse right seat in a car over just missing airbags, but YMMV.

Well I've "heard" that you shouldn't use a...

helmet, HANS, harness

...without a proper race seat and rollbar or cage also. It's a system meant to work together - much like stock seats, 3-point belts, and airbags all together. The mixing & matching of those is where it can get complicated

Plus not many drivers will commit to spending all that money on modifications before their first HPDE, which can of course be done in a bone stock daily driver.

Anyway back on topic. There is no requirement to have airbags in a HPDE car, but if you can have/use 'em, why wouldn't you. Any decision to have less safety equipment on track can increase risk, etc.

Well I've "heard" that you shouldn't use a...

helmet, HANS, harness

...without a proper race seat and rollbar or cage also. It's a system meant to work together - much like stock seats, 3-point belts, and airbags all together. The mixing & matching of those is where it can get complicated

Plus not many drivers will commit to spending all that money on modifications before their first HPDE, which can of course be done in a bone stock daily driver.

Anyway back on topic. There is no requirement to have airbags in a HPDE car, but if you can have/use 'em, why wouldn't you. Any decision to have less safety equipment on track can increase risk, etc.

I guess I forget about that, since I put a rollbar in the Viper and the seats are already made with harness holes and anchors installed from the factory.

Very true and glad you pointed that out though.