alcohol fuel containers rule

autodoctor911

If I interpret this rule literally, it seems it would be illegal to run a vehicle with a stock fuel tank with E85 as it's primary fuel.

I think the rule is intended for Methanol, not all Alcohol fuels over 50% alcohol, or by the title, it is only referring to secondary fuel/cooling fluid that is injected as a supplement to normal fuel, or to cool the intake charge.

I am thinking that most people using a secondary fuel/fluid lie this would be using 50% or more water, not another flammable fluid like gasoline in order to not require a fuel cell. It should be specified though, so someone doesn't have an unapproved container that is half methanol, and half gasoline, or any other very flammable mixture.

Please clarify.

15.19 Alcohol Injection (where permitted by class rules)

Tanks containing alcohol (e.g. methanol) that exceed 50% alcohol by volume must carry an FIA FT3 (or higher)

rating and be installed per fuel cell regulations found in CCR Section [Ref:(15.4)]. Tanks containing 50% or less

alcohol by volume may use any container per the manufacturer’s instructions or recommendations. Under all

circumstances tanks or containers must be mounted in an area that is separated from the driver by a solid

bulkhead or firewall.

E85 may be considered "normal fuel" per 18.3...?

18.3 Permitted Fuel

Permitted fuel is any grade of commercially available unmodified gasoline, E85 Ethanol, biodiesel, or diesel.

The driver must notify the Race Director if using methanol or other exotic fuel, when class rules permit.

Vehicles that run on (all or in part) electricity, propane, or hydrogen must be cleared through the National Office

in writing.

a clarification on 18.3 and/or 15.19 to specify if E85 does require the additional requirements spelled out in 15.19 would be nice

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think 15.19 is meant to apply to the main fuel tank, but rather "alcohol injection" tanks for supplemental fuel/cooling.

I guess no one has tried to interpret it to apply to E85 used in a stock type fuel tank as the main fuel source, so the intended purpose has been understood, if not precisely stated in that respect.

It concerns me more, though, that you could have someone using a thin blow molded cheap plastic tank "per manufacturer's instructions" on any alcohol mixture less than 50%, when it is not specified what the other 50+% of the mixture is.

It should state "alcohol mixtures with at least 50% Water or other non-flammable liquid by volume" rather than "Alcohol mixtures 50% or less by volume", which could be 50% or more gasoline, or whatever.