Will NASA allow SA2005 in 2015?

Dustin M.

• Members

I need to know if NASA will allow SA2005 helmets in 2015. Historically, it appears the new certifications are released in Oct/Nov, so it would seem to me that they should, but I want to make sure from some of you who've been around longer than me.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

From 2016 CCR:

15.17.3 Helmet

All drivers are required to wear a properly fitted and secured helmet while on track. Helmets must be approved

by Snell and carry a sticker of Snell SA2005 or newer*. Ratings other than that of “SA” (Special Application),

(e.g. M2005, M2010, or CMR2007), are not acceptable. *Alternatively, helmets with an FIA certification of

8860-2004 or newer, or an SFI label showing the rating of 31.1/2005 or newer are acceptable. It is strongly

recommended that any helmet sustaining any substantial impact be replaced. Note: the new standard of

SA2010 and FIA8899-2010 is expected to be implemented as of January 1, 2017.

need to be careful in which section referring to helmets you quote, the one above is for wheel-to-wheel racing. HPDE (which includes TT) is a different section and does allow M certs for example.

to the OP - is this for racing or hpde/tt?

need to be careful in which section referring to helmets you quote, the one above is for wheel-to-wheel racing. HPDE (which includes TT) is a different section and does allow M certs for example.

to the OP - is this for racing or hpde/tt?

Good point Ken, thanks.

11.0 HPDE TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS

11.3 Required Safety Equipment - Driver

Disclaimer: Conformance to these regulations is the driver’s responsibility. These regulations do not guarantee or imply that injuries or death will not occur. If there are any questions or problems with these regulations it is the reader’s responsibility to contact the NASA office, or a NASA official immediately. All participants should utilize equipment that meets or exceeds these minimum requirements, while driving on track (Note- passenger equipment must meet or exceed these minimum requirements; but do not necessarily have to match the driver’s equipment):

1. Use a proper fitting helmet that meets Snell 1995 (SA1995; M1995) or newer (or equivalent) standards for cars or motorcycles.

NASA Roadracing on asphalt, thanks for asking.

typical pattern has been 10 year life for racers if you buy the latest spec upon release, with sometimes an extra year if there's a delay in production for getting the newest spec out at the end of that 10 years.

Buying a 5 year old spec would be another 5-6 year life based on same pattern.

I'd confirm with leadership to make 100% sure, esp if a year or two makes any difference in the economics or whatnot.

Better to replace too often than not often enough. You only have one (1) brain and it's kind of vital.