Race tires on vintage race car

protruck14

I was wondering what everyone is using on vintage cars for road racing currently? Like old camaros and Mustangs. I have a 66 Mustang and have wasted thousands to find the one tire that worked great. The Kuhmo Victoracer V700. Which is now discontinoued. I don't know what to buy. The car needs to slide a little. The guy at Tireack suggested Toyo Proxies. Please help. My size is 245-45-16

If anyone has any of these Kuhmos left I would buy them.

Thanks in Advance.

The Toyo RA-1 is very good choice. Shave them for more life and faster lap times. Give us a call. We have the best prices and the best shave in the country!

I second the RA1's. We race on them til they are completely bald (which is when they are fastest). Phils has a customer running a 68 Mustang and a 73 Camaro (husband/wife) and I know they have used several tires, including the RA1.

I run a 66 Mustang in the new Outlaw Vintage class and have Hoosier R6 Tires in the same size you are asking about, 245/45/16. Tires are great, make great traction and on the Mustang have lasted several races with little to no signs of falling off. I'm using 16x8" American racing wheels with the spokes painted black, the fitment is great even with the car lowered as it is. I have since switched my 85 Trans Am and 70 Challenger over to R6's as well. Highly recommended!!!

923404_240823019402234_1258674654_n.jpg

thanks for the info.

Are they radials? Does the car turn in and throttle steer well with the Hoosiers? Can you get them from Tirerack? My 66 loved the kuhmo V700 victoracers. The back end would slide just enough.

The suspension set up on the 66 and the R6's seem to make for a great combo. Great turn in feel, rear slides just a bit with a little throttle and the grip is spot on. Tires have a ton of life on the car too as a single set rotated regularly lasted an entire season and I saw little to no drop in performance. You can't go wrong with them in my opinion. You can find them on tirerack but other NASA supporting vendors should have them too(Phil's, Sasco, etc).

Check out NASA's new vintage class for your 66:

www.outlaw-vintage-racing.com

Hoosier DOT R radials are probably going to be a bit edgy for the car's setup and your driving style. I do like their products and company and their support of grassroots racing though. Might be worth talking to them to see if they have some bias-ply full on slicks that may have the wider slip angles and forgiving nature that you're looking for - something aimed at Vintage type racing cars.

Thanks for your help guys. I did use Hoosiers a few years back and they didn't work at all. But I don't remember which ones they were. The back stuck so well that it catapulted the front. it has a locked rear and the car just pointed straight. I like the bias ply idea. I have a nearby Hoosier dealer. I'll go talk to them. I appreciate the input

Thanks for your help guys. I did use Hoosiers a few years back and they didn't work at all. But I don't remember which ones they were. The back stuck so well that it catapulted the front. it has a locked rear and the car just pointed straight. I like the bias ply idea. I have a nearby Hoosier dealer. I'll go talk to them. I appreciate the input

There is nothing that I know of in a bias play Hoosier that will fit your application. If your suspension is updated you should be able to run Toyo RA-1's. Especially if you like a bit of a slide.

I appreciate it and know you want to sell tires but i would like to hear it from a few other vintage racers. my suspension is not really updated. Its upgraded to all R model stuff from that era. like springs and old style classic koni shocks, leaf springs and a locked rear.

I appreciate it and know you want to sell tires but i would like to hear it from a few other vintage racers. my suspension is not really updated. Its upgraded to all R model stuff from that era. like springs and old style classic koni shocks, leaf springs and a locked rear.

No problem - we sell tires because I have been racing for 25 years.

I have pretty much the same setup on our 66 mustang; an R model clone with leaf springs, higher rate front springs, Koni red adjustable shocks set to full stiff, and period correct Shelby 4 piston front brakes. The Hoosier R6 tires were a great match for the car. VIR, Road Atlanta or CMP the tires performed great. If you want to talk about it more in depth feel free to PM with your number.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone for their help and advice. i think I'm going to try the bias ply hoosiers that are very close in size to the 245-45-16 My local Hoosire dist can get them and he gave me what seems to be a good price.