Is k26/8 turbo OK in 951 for GTS2 according to this rule?

Reggie Simmons

"Exhaust system is free providing the engine meets any local noise limit requirements. On turbocharged cars, the manifold and other exhaust piping between the exit of the port on the head and the entrance to the stock turbocharger is part of the exhaust system."

I am new to PCA racing, and not a mechanic, so if this is a really dumb question, regardless of whether the reply is affirmative or negative, a reply to the question will be appreciated. My car is a stock and fully legal '87 Porsche 944 Turbo (951). I want to know whether I can legally run a K26/8 in this class. Thanks!

I can't do that big guy; I've already spent hours doing that. Re-reading a rule you don't understand is "begging the question." Why don't you read my first post? I am NOT a mechanic, new to PCA racing, and am asking a question because I have read the rules and still do not understand. If you don't know the answer don't be a s....a.. . If you do know the answer, don't be a s....a.. .

Can anyone answer the question in the spirit in which is was asked?

Yes!

NASA GTS rules have no such restrictions, and do not follow PCA rules. It's HP to weight only. Run the turbo off of a Detriot Diesel if you like.

You'd have to ask the PCA officials about their rules - which must be where you are getting the rule you are referencing. This is probably the source of confusion. Best of luck.

• Members

Reggie,

Where did you get the quote on exhaust rules from? GTS Rules don't regulate mods on exhaust as well as any other mods engine, suspension, aero... - it is strictly power to weight ratio based factoring tires, gearbox and tube frame.

To answer your question simply - you free to do whatever you wish with the exhaust.

But, to be fair, on the Joon's comment - you don't need to be a mechanic to follow GTS Rules - probably the simplest among many. I am just wondering if you are actually reading the Rules for GTS, not PT/ST or something else.

Don't hesitate to ask, we are here to help.

Michael G.

NE GTS Dir.

NASA GTS is much simplier than PCA....by a wide margin.... Got a german car...good..does it still have a same brand (german) engine...great...your in....

Then its just power-weight...and what type of tires you run...nothing else matters....

In general PCA rules are kinda wacky and favor old air cooled 911's (shocker)....they never liked us front engined water cooled guys....

My 928 classes in GTS4, using the smallest V8 made for a 928...in general 951's tend to be a little lighter than a full race 928 (I'm 2830 off track with 200lb driver)...I think you will have a hard time turning the engine down enough to make GTS2....

The rule that Reggie has referenced is from PCA's 2013 rules changes. You can find it here: http://www.pca.org/portals/cr/2013PCAClubRacingRuleBook.pdf

Our rules say this: "Any modification to the car is allowed subject to the following restrictions..."

Those restrictions fill up three paragraphs which boil down to: unless your car was grandfathered in back in 2007, the engine block must come from the same parent company as the chassis. Oh, and you can add more chassis bracing if you want.

You'll want to ask PCA about PCA's rules.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

As someone who has raced a 951 S in both PCA and NASA -

1. NASA - Yes, it is legal. Just make sure you run the right power/weight for your chosen class. Also - the rules are really easy to understand for NASA. Read them then ask your questions. Most likely you will run - GTS-3 but you could possibly run heavy in GTS-2.

2. PCA - Best bet is to try and be legal for SP-3. The only real barrier is (assuming stock motor/DME/KLR) - Weight. You will most likely run into this problem:

A. - Too Light - because you had to cut a lot to be competitive in GTS-3

B. - Too Much Boost (limit is 12.5psi) - Because you had to raise the boost to be competitive in GTS-2 with your heavy weight.

I made this decision - I race 1-2x per year with PCA MAX. I run 4-5 times per year with NASA - I built (still building) for NASA rules and run "SP-3" for PCA. The competition in SP-3 is dismal anyways...

Here is another wrench to throw at you....PT classing...You could build a screaming fast PT-B car but the rules make PCA SP-3 rules look simple...

• Members

As someone who has raced a 951 S in both PCA and NASA -

1. NASA - Yes, it is legal. Just make sure you run the right power/weight for your chosen class. Also - the rules are really easy to understand for NASA. Read them then ask your questions. Most likely you will run - GTS-3 but you could possibly run heavy in GTS-2.

2. PCA - Best bet is to try and be legal for SP-3. The only real barrier is (assuming stock motor/DME/KLR) - Weight. You will most likely run into this problem:

A. - Too Light - because you had to cut a lot to be competitive in GTS-3

B. - Too Much Boost (limit is 12.5psi) - Because you had to raise the boost to be competitive in GTS-2 with your heavy weight.

I made this decision - I race 1-2x per year with PCA MAX. I run 4-5 times per year with NASA - I built (still building) for NASA rules and run "SP-3" for PCA. The competition in SP-3 is dismal anyways...

Here is another wrench to throw at you....PT classing...You could build a screaming fast PT-B car but the rules make PCA SP-3 rules look simple...