Cost effective way to get track car to nationals?

hufflepuff

My TTE Integra is street legal and i can drive to local events, but the 650 miles, 9 hours drive to nationals would be pretty terrible. I'm looking for recommendations on ways to transport my car to nationals cost effectively without driving it there. I don't have a vehicle capable of towing, and don't want to buy one for a once-a-year need. Has anyone had experience with the following using a moving truck, cargo van, or pickup? It seems not all places allow towing or have hitches, and the places that charge by mile are outrageous.

Drive it there! My backup plan to get home should something happen to the car was rent a UHual truck & trailer. Never needed it, and saved the expense that way.

- KB, did it that way for 2006 & 2007 Nationals. Clemson SC to Mid-O and back with everything shoved in a Mk2 MR2.

One of our AZ drivers rented a full size truck from the dealership and towed his own trailer. Maybe you can borrow one of your friends trailers. It was much less expensive than uhaul I am guessing.

Uhaul has couple options;

Truck & Tow Dolly: around $325 for 5 days

Truck & Auto trailer: around $375 for 5 days

If you could come up with one (i.e. a tow vehicle or trailer) it would be considerably less.

Find a local that has room to carry your stuff like wheels/tires/tools in a big trailer and drive your car to the track on old junk wheels/tires.

I didn't have as long a haul as you do but before I bought a truck and trailer I loaded everything in the back of my TTE Integra (tools, wheels/ tires, seat, suit case and a few misc.) put the stock seat back in and street tires on and drove to Road Atlanta a few times. It was not that bad.

Looks like the closest location to you is Richmond, but I used to rent trucks from Triangle. They had F150/250/350s, vans and even Excursions back in the day. Just need to specify that you intend to tow, because not all the trucks have tow packages.

Check your local equipment rental places for trailers. I was able to rent a Featherlight car hauler here in the Chicago area for much less than a U-Haul. Sunbelt is all over your area and has equipment trailers, but you can probably do better with a local place. Google shows Ted's Rent-It in your area, and you could also try trailer dealers - some will rent also. Good luck.

Cliff

• 1 month later...

If you are a business owner, you can look into Enterprise rentals as well. There is a guy that shows up at local track day events towing his own trailer with an Enterprise rental now (he sold his tow vehicle and said it is cheaper to just rent a truck instead for the 4 to 5 days a year he goes to/from track)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know. Twice I've had to spend around $800 to get my car hauled after it broke. That was after AAA ponied up their share. I've used rental trailers a few times. I have access to a pickup truck. Finally bought a Featherlite. When you consider all the work to brakes, suspension and alignment to prepare your car once you get to the track... and then to undo all of it to drive home. It gets pretty tiring.

OTOH, I wish I knew an affordable way to get my car from CT to Circuit of The Americas in Austin, TX. I don't want to do that haul.

• 2 weeks later...

Find someone in your area or going through your area that has room on their trailer. Or you could look into the auto transport companies. I deal with a Broker and he finds the best deal. I had a Porsche 911 sent from Nashville to Buffalo for $400.

Just depends how much money you want to spend.